Finding Potential Difference Across AB in a Multi-Cell Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the potential difference across AB and determining the values of ε1 and ε2. The individual has shared their attempt at solving the problem and has mentioned that their answer was incorrect. They then clarify the values of ε1, ε2, and E3, as well as the resistance. The conversation then shifts to discussing Kirchhoff's current law and how to write the node equation for node A in terms of VA. The individual also asks for help in determining the value of i0 and how to express the three currents in terms of VA.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

Find potential difference across AB

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have posted a picture of my figure, I have 3-i1=v=2-i2=1-i3 and i1+i2+i3= io on solving I got 6-io=3v and then I found resistance equal to 1/3 ohm. So after solving I got v= 1 volt, but it's wrong

Attachments

• 1511896341231112866089.jpg
    1511896341231112866089.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 151189677709314063199.jpg
    151189677709314063199.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 430
  • 15118968245551350405991.jpg
    15118968245551350405991.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
How much are ε1 and ε2? It is not clear from your images.

E1= 3V E2 =2V and E3 = 1V each resistance = 1 ohm

carlyn medona said:
E1= 3V E2 =2V and E3 = 1V each resistance = 1 ohm
Ok.
Let VB=0V (ground reference).

Can you write KCL at point A in terms of VA?

Is KCL kirchhoff's current law?

carlyn medona said:
Is KCL kirchhoff's current law?
Yes. You want to write the KCL node equation for node A.

Io=i1+i2+i3

carlyn medona said:
Io=i1+i2+i3
What would i0 be?
How will you write the three currents in terms of VA?

FAQ: Finding Potential Difference Across AB in a Multi-Cell Circuit

1. What is potential difference and how is it measured?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is typically measured using a voltmeter.

2. What is a multi-cell circuit?

A multi-cell circuit is a circuit that contains more than one cell or battery connected in series or parallel. This allows for a higher voltage output than a single cell can provide.

3. How do you find the potential difference across AB in a multi-cell circuit?

To find the potential difference across AB in a multi-cell circuit, you will need to use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at point A and point B. Then, subtract the voltage at point B from the voltage at point A to determine the potential difference.

4. Why is it important to measure potential difference in a multi-cell circuit?

Measuring potential difference in a multi-cell circuit is important because it allows you to understand how much voltage is being supplied to the circuit and how it is distributed among the different cells. This can help troubleshoot any issues with the circuit and ensure that the correct amount of voltage is being delivered to the components.

5. How can potential difference affect the performance of a multi-cell circuit?

Potential difference can greatly affect the performance of a multi-cell circuit. If there is too low of a potential difference, the circuit may not function properly, while too high of a potential difference can damage the components. It is important to measure and regulate potential difference to ensure the circuit operates efficiently and safely.

Back