Finding potential given some conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the potential V(x) for a 1D quantum system, given the ground state and first excited state denoted by ##\psi_{0}## and ##\psi_{1}##. By substituting ##\psi_1## into the TISE, the potential V(x) can be deduced to be a harmonic oscillator potential with a frequency of ##\omega^2=\frac{(E_1-E_2)^2}{\hbar^2}##. This potential is different from the one discussed in another thread.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Denote the ground state and the first excited state of a 1D quantum system by ##\psi_{0}## and ##\psi_{1}##. If it is given that $$\psi_{1}(x) = x \psi_{0}(x)\,\,\,\text{and}\,\,V(0)=0$$ find the potential V(x).

Homework Equations

TISE

The Attempt at a Solution

If I sub ##\psi_1## into the TISE I get ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \psi_1'' + V(x)\psi_1 = E_1 \psi_1##(1). I can replace ##\psi_1## with ##x\psi_o## to give after differentiation, ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left(2\psi_o' + x\psi_o''\right) + V(x)x\psi_o = E_1x\psi_o##. (2)

But I also know that ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \psi_0'' + V(x)\psi_0 = E_2\psi_0## Rearrange (2) yields $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\psi_o' + x\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\psi_o'' + V(x)\psi_o)\right) = E_1x\psi_o.$$The coefficient of x is precisely ##E_2\psi_o## so I end up with a diff eq for ##\psi_o##: $$\psi_o' = -\frac{m(E_2 - E_1)}{\hbar^2}x\psi_0 \Rightarrow \psi_o = K \exp\left(-\frac{m(E_1-E_2)}{\hbar^2} \frac{x^2}{2}\right)$$, K a constant.

So it then easy to get ##\psi_1## by multiplying ##\psi_o## by x. Subbing ##\psi_1## back into (1) and differentiating twice I get that $$V(x) = \frac{m}{2}\frac{(E_1-E_2)^2}{\hbar^2}x^2$$, neglecting the constant terms. Does this seem okay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. It's the harmonic oscillator with the frequency
[tex]\omega^2=\frac{(E_1-E_2)^2}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
as it should be.

Hi vanhees71, I was wondering how the answer I got here differs from the potential in my other thread '1D Potential Step QM Problem'. Is it just the case that in that thread V was the harmonic oscillator to a restricted interval, whereas in this case it holds for all x? Hence the potentials in both threads are different.

eh? In the 1D potential step problem, I'm guessing the potential was simply a step potential. But here you have a completely different potential. different potential gives a different wavefunction.

edit: ah whoops, I didn't read your post carefully enough. OK so in your other thread, the potential was like a harmonic oscillator potential over some interval and some larger constant outside that interval? Well, still that potential is different to this potential, as you say, which is why you get different answers. In other words, different system, different answer.

I appreciate your approach to solving this problem. Your use of the TISE and the given conditions to derive the potential V(x) is logical and well-explained. However, I would suggest adding more detail to your explanation of how you arrived at your final result, particularly in the step where you obtain V(x) from the differential equation. This will help others understand your thought process and make your solution more clear. Overall, your solution seems sound and your approach demonstrates a good understanding of quantum mechanics. Well done.

Related to Finding potential given some conditions

1. What is "finding potential"?

"Finding potential" refers to the process of identifying and assessing the possibility or likelihood of something occurring or being successful based on certain conditions or factors. It is commonly used in scientific research and decision-making processes.

2. What conditions are typically considered when finding potential?

The conditions that are typically considered when finding potential vary depending on the specific situation or problem being studied. However, some common factors that are often taken into account include environmental conditions, previous research or data, and relevant variables or parameters.

3. How can finding potential be useful in scientific research?

Finding potential can be useful in scientific research as it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on available information and data. It also helps to identify potential areas of interest or further investigation, and can guide the development of hypotheses and experiments.

4. What are some challenges of finding potential in scientific research?

One of the main challenges of finding potential in scientific research is the complexity and variability of natural systems. It can be difficult to accurately predict or assess potential outcomes due to the numerous factors and interactions involved. Additionally, the availability and quality of data can also pose challenges in the process.

5. Can finding potential be applied in other fields besides science?

Yes, finding potential can be applied in various fields besides science. For example, it can be used in business and economics to assess the potential success of a product or investment based on market conditions. It can also be applied in decision-making processes in fields such as politics, education, and healthcare.

Back