Finding Potential Inside a Conducting Sphere

In summary, the concept of finding potential in a conducting sphere involves determining the electric potential at different points inside the sphere, which is influenced by the distribution of charge and can be calculated using the electric field equation. The potential inside a conducting sphere is constant and does not depend on distance, unlike outside the sphere where it decreases with distance. Factors such as charge distribution, radius, and distance from the center affect the potential. It can be calculated using the electric field equation or measured experimentally. Understanding the potential inside a conducting sphere is important in designing electrical circuits and devices, as well as studying the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.
Void123

Homework Statement

If I wanted to find the potential inside a sphere, would I be looking for the general solution (in terms of Bessel's expression) for the helmholtz equation, in spherical polar coordinates?

Also, does a 'conducting' sphere imply that there is no potential outside the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can no one verify this for me? Have I been too ambiguous?

It's not really a math problem is it? Try physics.

Well, it is a topic addressed in the mathematical literature. But I will try your suggestion anyways. Thanks.

FAQ: Finding Potential Inside a Conducting Sphere

1. What is the concept of "finding potential" in a conducting sphere?

The concept of finding potential in a conducting sphere involves determining the electric potential at different points inside the sphere. This potential is influenced by the distribution of charge within the sphere and can be calculated using the electric field equation.

2. How is the potential inside a conducting sphere different from that outside?

The potential inside a conducting sphere is constant and does not depend on the distance from the center, while the potential outside the sphere decreases with increasing distance from the center. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, so there is no change in potential.

3. What factors affect the potential inside a conducting sphere?

The potential inside a conducting sphere is affected by the charge distribution within the sphere, the radius of the sphere, and the distance from the center of the sphere to the point of interest. It also depends on the surrounding electric field, if there is one.

4. How can the potential inside a conducting sphere be calculated?

The potential inside a conducting sphere can be calculated using the electric field equation, which relates the potential to the charge distribution and distance from the center of the sphere. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the potential at different points inside the sphere.

5. What are the real-world applications of understanding potential inside a conducting sphere?

Understanding the potential inside a conducting sphere is important in various technological applications, such as in designing electrical circuits and devices. It is also relevant in studying the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, which has implications in fields such as plasma physics and particle accelerators.

Back