Finding Practical Resonance (Need help with my setup)

In summary: My set-up so far is as follows:-I have substituted in the values for R and C that I have-I am differentiating the equation of motion with respect to t to find the maximum amplitudeIt seems like you should differentiate with respect to t0 instead of t, in order to cancel out the t0 term.
ZenPhys

Homework Statement

This is for my differential equation project and this is the last part of the question.
We know that the R=2 and C=0.001. We are given the equation:
Q''+(R/L)Q'+(1/LC)Q=(117/L)sin(120*pi*t)
We want to find the value of L such that we maximize the amplitude of the steady state solution.

I have uploaded a document with my set-up so far and I appreciate any help at all!

Attachments

• Setup.docx
    13.3 KB · Views: 227
Physics news on Phys.org
ZenPhys said:

Homework Statement

This is for my differential equation project and this is the last part of the question.
We know that the R=2 and C=0.001. We are given the equation:
Q''+(R/L)Q'+(1/LC)Q=(117/L)sin(120*pi*t)
We want to find the value of L such that we maximize the amplitude of the steady state solution.

I have uploaded a document with my set-up so far and I appreciate any help at all!
Instead of carrying the variables through all of your calculations, why don't you substitute in the values for R and C that you have? It would probably make your calculations easier.

Oh ya. I eventually did that. But i realized that since my external force is a sin function. I can't be equate that.

Instead, I should differentiate A^2 + B^2 such that the differentiation of that is zero. That would then give me the maximum amplitude.
Would that be correct?

I see a couple of mistakes.
1. In your general solution the exponential terms should have t in the exponent.
2. In your particular solution, you have a factor of t0. Did you mean t0. Either way, why is it present?

In the original diff. equation, it seems like it would be easier to multiply through by L, rather than carry it along in all the denominators.

In the OP, you have
What is your steady state solution? What is your transient solution? The general solution has a transient part (with the exponential terms) and a steady state part (caused by the forcing function).

Related to Finding Practical Resonance (Need help with my setup)

1. What is practical resonance and why is it important?

Practical resonance is the phenomenon where an object or system vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to an external force. It is important because it can cause significant damage or failure in mechanical systems, and understanding and controlling it is crucial in engineering and design.

2. How do I determine the natural frequency of my system?

The natural frequency of a system can be determined by conducting a frequency response analysis, using a vibration analyzer, or by performing experiments and measuring the response of the system to various frequencies.

3. What factors can affect practical resonance in my setup?

The stiffness, mass, and damping of the system, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the external force, can all affect practical resonance. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and environmental conditions may also play a role.

4. How can I minimize the effects of practical resonance in my setup?

To minimize the effects of practical resonance, you can adjust the stiffness, mass, and damping of the system, or change the frequency and amplitude of the external force. Using materials with different properties or implementing isolation techniques can also help reduce the impact of practical resonance.

5. Can numerical simulations be used to predict practical resonance?

Yes, numerical simulations can be used to predict practical resonance by modeling the system and analyzing its response to different frequencies. However, experimental validation is still necessary to ensure the accuracy of the simulations.