Finding Quantized Speeds, Radii & Energies with Bohr's Rule

In summary, using Bohr's rule, L=n\hbar, one can find the quantized speeds, radii, and energies for circular orbits of a particle of mass m bound to the origin by the Hooke's-law force, F(r) = -Kr. By substituting the equation for the radius (r=n\hbar/mv) into the equation for the force (F(r)=-kr), one can solve for the speed (v=(-kn²\hbar²/m³)^¼). However, there may be an issue with the negative sign in the 4th root of v. To solve for the energy, one can use the equation 1/2mv²+kr=-E and incorporate
nymphidius

Homework Statement

Use Bohr's rule, L=n[itex]\hbar[/itex], to find the quantized speeds, radii, and energies for circular orbits of a particle of mass m bound to the origin by the Hooke's-law force, F(r) = -Kr.

Homework Equations

mass=m

ƩF=ma

F(r)=-kr

L=n[itex]\hbar[/itex]

p=mvr

mvr=n[itex]\hbar[/itex]

r=n[itex]\hbar[/itex]/mv (a)

The Attempt at a Solution

mv²/r=-kr

mv²=-kr² (b)

subbing (a) into (b)

mv²=-kn²[itex]\hbar²[/itex]/m²v²

solving for v...

(v²)²=-kn²[itex]\hbar²[/itex]/m³

v=(-kn²[itex]\hbar²[/itex]/m³)^¼

and this is where I get stuck because of the negative sign in the 4th root of v. If I make ma=kr it works out, BUT it seems cheap just to change the law from -kr to kr.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something? I am also stuck on the energy part. I figured it had something to do with 1/2mv²+kr=-E but I don't know how to incorporate the n\hbar part of Bohr's rule.Thank you for any help!

Related to Finding Quantized Speeds, Radii & Energies with Bohr's Rule

1. What is Bohr's rule?

Bohr's rule is a scientific principle developed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to describe the atomic structure of atoms. It states that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, also known as shells, and can only exist in these quantized energy states.

2. How does Bohr's rule help us find quantized speeds, radii, and energies?

Bohr's rule provides a mathematical formula that allows us to calculate the quantized speeds, radii, and energies of electrons in an atom. This formula takes into account the charge of the nucleus, the mass of the electron, and the electron's energy level.

3. Why is it important to understand quantized speeds, radii, and energies in atoms?

Understanding quantized speeds, radii, and energies in atoms is crucial to understanding the behavior and properties of matter at the atomic level. It also helps us explain and predict chemical reactions, as well as the emission and absorption of light by atoms.

4. Can Bohr's rule be applied to all atoms?

No, Bohr's rule is only applicable to single-electron atoms, such as hydrogen, where there is only one electron orbiting the nucleus. For atoms with multiple electrons, more complex models such as the quantum mechanical model are needed.

5. How has Bohr's rule contributed to the development of modern atomic theory?

Bohr's rule was a significant breakthrough in understanding the structure of atoms, and it paved the way for further developments in atomic theory. It provided a foundation for the quantum mechanical model of the atom, which allowed for a more accurate description of the behavior of electrons in atoms.