Finding R and C from a parallel RC circuit

In summary, the problem involves finding the R and C values for a RC parallel circuit with an impedance of 105000 Ω ∠ -27 at a frequency of 50 Hz. The impedance can be calculated using the equation 1/Z = 1/R +jwc and can be converted to Z = 9355.69 -j47669. To find the R and C values, the terms of 1/Z can be equated to the numerical values of the conductance components. Scientific notation can be used to simplify the calculations.
Agent47

Homework Statement

A RC parallel circuit with an impedance of Z = 105000 Ω ∠ -27 and frequency of 50 Hz.

Homework Equations

I need to find out what the R and C values using the information given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the impedance for a parallel RC can be calculated from

1/Z = 1/R +jwc

Z can be converted to Z = 9355.69 -j47669 but from there i am completely confused on what to do next.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can calculate 1/Z and express it in a+jb form...Compare the real and imaginary parts then.

Likes 1 person
If i do 1/z i would get,

0.000008485 +j0.000004323

but I am still not sure where R and C would come from.

Agent47 said:
I know the impedance for a parallel RC can be calculated from

1/Z = 1/R +jwc

Agent47 said:
If i do 1/z i would get,

0.000008485 +j0.000004323

but I am still not sure where R and C would come from.

[scientific notation would help curtail all those zeros :smile:]

Equate the terms of your expression above to the numerical values of the conductance components...

Likes 1 person
I want to thank you both for your help.

Related to Finding R and C from a parallel RC circuit

1. How do you calculate the values of R and C in a parallel RC circuit?

The values of R and C can be calculated using the formula R = V/I and C = Q/V, where V is the voltage across the circuit, I is the current flowing through the circuit, and Q is the charge stored in the capacitor.

2. Can the values of R and C be determined experimentally?

Yes, the values of R and C can be determined experimentally by measuring the voltage and current in the circuit and using the above formulas to calculate the values.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated values of R and C?

The accuracy of the calculated values of R and C can be affected by factors such as the quality of the components used, external interference, and measurement errors.

4. How does the time constant of a parallel RC circuit relate to the values of R and C?

The time constant of a parallel RC circuit is equal to the product of R and C. This means that increasing the values of R and C will result in a longer time constant and vice versa.

5. Can the values of R and C be adjusted to change the time constant of a parallel RC circuit?

Yes, the values of R and C can be adjusted to change the time constant of a parallel RC circuit. Increasing the values of R and C will result in a longer time constant, while decreasing the values will result in a shorter time constant.