Finding Radius of Convergence: Calculating (1/n!)x^(n!)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the radius of convergence for the infinite series of (1/n!)x^(n!). The method used involves considering the absolute values of x and using the comparison test to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. It is concluded that the series converges for abs(x) < 1 and diverges for abs(x) > 1. The discussion then addresses the cases of x=1 and x=-1, where it is determined that the series also converges. The final conclusion is that the radius of convergence is 1 and the series converges for abs(x) <= 1. The use of the ratio test for this problem is also questioned.
garyljc
Hey ,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question regarding calculating the radius of convergence of the infinity series of (1/n!)x^(n!)

This is my work

First we consider when abs(x) < 1
then we have 0 <= abs(x^n!) <= abs(x^n)
so we know that the series converges whenever abs(x) < 1 , so by the comparison test, we conclude that the series converges for abs(x) < 1

Now consider abs(x) > 1
we have 0<= abs (x) <= abs(x^n!)
so the series by comparison test diverges for abs(x) > 1

After that , I consider what happen at x=1 and x=-1 , it turned out that they converges as well .
So my radius of convergence is [-1,1] and the series converges for abs(x) <= 1

is this approach correct ? because i thought that for question like this , ratio test is not a good approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong, except that your radius of convergence, R, is 1. The interval of convergence is [-1, 1], and the radius of this interval is 1.

Alright thanks a lot =D .

Related to Finding Radius of Convergence: Calculating (1/n!)x^(n!)

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the range of values for which the series will converge, or approach a finite value. It is represented by the letter 'R' and is typically found by using the ratio test or the root test.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test. For the ratio test, the formula is R = lim |an+1/an| as n approaches infinity. For the root test, the formula is R = 1/lim sup |an|^(1/n) as n approaches infinity. These tests determine if the series will converge or diverge for different values of x, and the radius of convergence will be the largest value of x that satisfies the conditions for convergence.

Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which a power series will converge. This allows us to determine the validity and accuracy of using a power series to approximate a function. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function and can be used to find the interval of convergence for a series.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or infinity. This is because the radius of convergence represents the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series converges, and distance is always a positive value.

How does the radius of convergence affect the behavior of a power series?

The radius of convergence determines the interval in which a power series will converge, and thus affects the behavior of the series. If the value of x is within the radius of convergence, the series will converge and approach a finite value. If x is outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge and not approach a finite value. The size of the radius of convergence also affects the rate at which the series approaches the limiting value.