Finding Radius of Convergence: Ratio Test for Series

In summary, the interval of convergence for the given series is (-1/2, 1/2). The ratio test is used to determine convergence, but it fails at the endpoints. To ensure convergence, the limit of the terms must go to zero, so this test can be used at the endpoints.
Fiz2007

Homework Statement

find the interval of convergence of
[tex]\sum[/tex][(2k+1)!/((2k)((k!)2)]* [xk]

Homework Equations

Ratio Test

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found that it converges on (-1/2, 1/2) by using power series with b=0 and testing the rest of it as ak. However, I am unsure about the end points. I tried using the ratio test with x = (-1/2) and I get the limit to be 1 so the test fails. What test would I be able to use? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And i have no clue why the summation is putting all the stuff in there but it is suppose to say just what is in the text at the end.

A series can't converge if the limit of the terms doesn't go to zero. Try that test at the endpoints.

FAQ: Finding Radius of Convergence: Ratio Test for Series

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the range of values for which the series will converge to a finite value. It is denoted by the letter R and is usually expressed as a positive real number or infinity.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is calculated by applying the ratio test to the power series. This involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence can be calculated as the reciprocal of the limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series will diverge, and the radius of convergence is 0. If the limit is exactly 1, further tests may be needed to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it determines the range of values for which the power series will converge. If a value falls within the radius of convergence, the series will converge and can be used to approximate the function it represents. Values outside the radius of convergence will result in a divergent series, and the approximation will not be valid.

4. Can the radius of convergence change?

Yes, the radius of convergence can change for different power series. It can also change for the same power series if the underlying function or the variable of the series is altered. For example, the radius of convergence for a power series representing a polynomial function may be different from the radius of convergence for the same series representing a trigonometric function.

5. How is the radius of convergence used in real-life applications?

The radius of convergence has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and study the behavior of systems. For example, in electrical engineering, the radius of convergence is used to determine the stability of control systems, while in physics, it is used to analyze the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. It is also used in data analysis and signal processing to model and predict complex systems.