Finding real part of complex eqn

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, a complex equation is an equation that contains both real and imaginary numbers, typically written in the form a + bi. The real part of a complex equation is the part that does not contain any imaginary numbers, represented by the variable a in the form a + bi. It is important to find the real part in order to better understand the behavior of the equation and make predictions about its solutions. This can be done by simply looking at the coefficient of the real part or using algebraic methods. The real part of a complex equation has many real-life applications in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics, including analyzing electrical circuits, solving differential equations, and understanding waves and vibrations.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

for z= 3e[itex]^{(-5\pi i/6)}[/itex] and w=1+i

find Re(iw+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\overline{z}[/itex]= 3e[itex]^{5\pi i/6}[/itex]

so |z|=3 and Arg(z)= 5[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]/6[/itex] which lies in the second quad. so we have z= -1+ i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]

so squaring z I have 1-2i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] -3
so Re(z) = -2.

and for the w once I times through by i we have w=i-1

so I thought it should be something like Re(iw+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])=
-1+-2=-3

But the answer says 7/2

Im sure I have gone wrong somewhere please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

so |z|=3 and Arg(z)= 5[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]/6[/itex] which lies in the second quad. so we have z= -1+ i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]
That's impossible. That has absolute value [itex]\sqrt{1+ 3}= 2, not 3.. [itex]cos(5\pi/6)= -\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] so [itex]3cos(5/pi/6)= -3\sqrt{3}/2[/itex], not -1. [itex]sin(5/p/6)= 1/2[/itex] so [itex]3sin(5/pi/6)= 3/2[/itex], not [/itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex].

[itex]\overline{z}[/itex] (not z) is equal to [itex]-3\sqrt{3}/2+ (3/2)i[/itex]

so Re(z) = -2.

so I thought it should be something like Re(iw+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])=
-1+-2=-3

But the answer says 7/2

charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

so Re(z) = -2.

-1+-2=-3

But the answer says 7/2

So you want the real part of [itex] i + i^2 + (3 e^{\,i 5 \pi/ 6})^2.[/itex]

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
So you want the real part of [itex] i + i^2 + (3 e^{\,i 5 \pi/ 6})^2.[/itex]

RGV

Yes which the first part is equal to i-1 its just the second part I am confused with.

charmedbeauty said:
Yes which the first part is equal to i-1 its just the second part I am confused with.

So, are you saying that you don't know how to calculate [itex] (r e^{i \theta})^2 [/itex] for real [itex]r \text{ and } \theta?[/itex] Have you tried looking in your textbook, or looking on-line?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
So, are you saying that you don't know how to calculate [itex] (r e^{i \theta})^2 [/itex] for real [itex]r \text{ and } \theta?[/itex] Have you tried looking in your textbook, or looking on-line?

RGV

Yes but I can't find any similar examples on line and I only have a calculus textbook.
But I think I am confused about what happens when I square the term.
Should I convert it to a+ib form and then square it or just square it in exponent form because If I do that I get e^10Pi*i/6 once I have squared and changed it into its conjugate form.
But that means I have an angle of 300 deg. Which I got stuck on because I did not know what quad it should be in on the argand diagram since it only uses the interval [-pi,pi], so where does 300 deg fit in there? do you got to 180 then go back in the opp direction or do you keep going around to the 4th quad but then that should give a negative 'a' and negative 'bi' ?? I am really confused on this.

charmedbeauty said:
Yes but I can't find any similar examples on line and I only have a calculus textbook.
But I think I am confused about what happens when I square the term.
Should I convert it to a+ib form and then square it or just square it in exponent form because If I do that I get e^10Pi*i/6 once I have squared and changed it into its conjugate form.
But that means I have an angle of 300 deg. Which I got stuck on because I did not know what quad it should be in on the argand diagram since it only uses the interval [-pi,pi], so where does 300 deg fit in there? do you got to 180 then go back in the opp direction or do you keep going around to the 4th quad but then that should give a negative 'a' and negative 'bi' ?? I am really confused on this.

Google is your friend. See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number and look about 2/5 of the way down. Frankly, I am very surprised that you have not seen this material before, since it is so very fundamental.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Google is your friend. See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number and look about 2/5 of the way down. Frankly, I am very surprised that you have not seen this material before, since it is so very fundamental.

RGV

OK so basically if its out of the range of [-pi,pi] just add 2kpi to make it in the right interval?

[itex]\overline{z}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = 9([itex]{{\rm e}^{5/6\,i\pi }}[/itex])^2

So you essentially get 9(cos([itex]\frac{5\pi}{6}[/itex])+isin([itex]\frac{5\pi}{6}[/itex]))^2

Once you simplify that trigonometric expression, you should be able to calculate the real part of that fairly easily, once you have that, you simply add on the real part of (i*w)

Remember Euler's formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula

Last edited:
charmedbeauty said:
OK so basically if its out of the range of [-pi,pi] just add 2kpi to make it in the right interval?

Yes, as you got (10*Pi)/6 - simplify that, and get it into range by adding or subtracting 2kPi

Since you did the squaring directly in the exponential, this will save you some work when you convert it into trig form, then it's pretty much solved.

Ok Thanks!

FAQ: Finding real part of complex eqn

What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that contains both real and imaginary numbers. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What is the real part of a complex equation?

The real part of a complex equation is the part that does not contain any imaginary numbers. It is represented by the variable a in the form a + bi.

Why is it important to find the real part of a complex equation?

Finding the real part of a complex equation allows us to separate the real and imaginary components and better understand the behavior of the equation. It also helps in solving the equation and making predictions about its solutions.

How is the real part of a complex equation found?

The real part of a complex equation can be found by simply looking at the coefficient of the real part, represented by a in the form a + bi. It is also possible to use algebraic methods to separate the real and imaginary parts.

What are some real-life applications of finding the real part of a complex equation?

Finding the real part of a complex equation is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, solving differential equations, and understanding the properties of waves and vibrations.

Back