Finding refractive index of liquid with no parallax principle

In summary, the students in physics class conducted an experiment to find the refractive index of water by dropping a metal pin in a beaker of water and using a mirror and a clamped metal pin to measure the apparent depth of the submerged pin. The teacher explained that by adjusting the height of the clamped pin, the reflection in the mirror can be aligned with the visible submerged pin with no parallax. This is due to the principle of light rays being refracted at the air/water interface and can be calculated using Snell's law and trigonometry. The students were left pondering the explanation for this phenomenon.
MadmanMurray
In physics class we did an experiment where we dropped a metal pin in a beaker of water, covered half the beaker with a mirror and clamped another metal pin above the beaker. We had to find the refractive index of the water by measuring the apparent depth of the submerged pin and dividing it into the real depth of the pin.

The teacher told us we can find out the apparent depth by adjusting the height of the clamped pin so that when looking down the beaker we should be able to see the reflection (in the mirror) of the clamped pin aligned with the visible submerged pin and if we move our heads from side to side there should be no parallax.

It was dead simple to get the right results but I have absolutely no idea how it worked. I know that light rays travel through water faster than they do air and that the light rays deflect a little when they enter the water but I have no idea how this principle can be used to measure the apparent depth of a submerged object. The teacher didn't explain it at all so I don't think we have to know this but I'd really like to know. I've been pondering it trying to come up with an explanation but I can't think of a theory that makes sense.

I should mention that the apparent image was measured as the distance from the clamped pin to the mirror/top of beaker and obviously the real depth was the distance from the submerged pin to the mirror. How come when you adjust the height of the pin on the clamp to the right height above the beaker its reflection in the mirror can be aligned with the visible pin with no parallax. If you raise the pin a little there will be parallax though. Can anyone explain this to me?

Science news on Phys.org
MadmanMurray said:
It was dead simple to get the right results but I have absolutely no idea how it worked. I know that light rays travel through water faster than they do air and that the light rays deflect a little when they enter the water but I have no idea how this principle can be used to measure the apparent depth of a submerged object. The teacher didn't explain it at all so I don't think we have to know this but I'd really like to know. I've been pondering it trying to come up with an explanation but I can't think of a theory that makes sense.
Imagine that the submerged pin is a source of light (reflected light, but that doesn't matter). Treating the pin as a point source, draw a diagram showing light "rays" emanating in all directions, being refracted at the air/water interface. By "tracing back" the light rays in air, you can see the apparent position of the pin. Use Snell's law--and a bit of trig--to calculate the apparent depth for rays close to normal incidence.

I can provide an explanation for this phenomenon using the principles of refraction and the properties of light. When light passes from one medium to another, it changes direction due to the difference in density between the two mediums. This is known as refraction.

In this experiment, the light rays from the submerged pin travel through the water, which has a higher refractive index compared to air. This causes the light rays to bend as they enter the water. When the light rays reach the surface of the water, they are once again refracted as they pass through the air and reach our eyes.

The key to understanding the apparent depth measurement in this experiment lies in the fact that the light rays from the submerged pin are refracted twice – once when they enter the water and once when they leave the water. This results in the light rays appearing to come from a different location than the actual position of the pin. This is known as the apparent position.

By adjusting the height of the clamped pin so that its reflection in the mirror aligns with the visible submerged pin, we are essentially creating an optical illusion. The apparent position of the clamped pin in the mirror is now the same as the actual position of the submerged pin. This is known as the virtual image.

The reason for no parallax is that when the light rays are perfectly aligned, there is no difference in the apparent position of the clamped pin in the mirror when viewed from different angles. This is because the light rays are coming from the same location – the virtual image of the submerged pin.

In summary, the apparent depth measurement in this experiment is possible due to the principles of refraction and the creation of a virtual image. By understanding these concepts, we can accurately determine the refractive index of the liquid using the measurements taken in the experiment.

Related to Finding refractive index of liquid with no parallax principle

1. What is the purpose of finding the refractive index of a liquid using the no parallax principle?

The refractive index of a liquid is an important physical property that can be used to identify and characterize the liquid. By using the no parallax principle, we can accurately determine the refractive index, which can then be used in various scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does the no parallax principle work in finding the refractive index of a liquid?

The no parallax principle is based on the fact that when an object is viewed through a liquid-filled container, it appears to be shifted due to the refraction of light. By measuring the apparent shift of the object and using the geometry of the container, we can calculate the refractive index of the liquid.

3. What equipment is needed to find the refractive index of a liquid using the no parallax principle?

The equipment needed includes a transparent container, a light source, a ruler or scale, and a protractor. Additionally, a laser or monochromatic light source may be used for more accurate measurements.

4. Are there any limitations to using the no parallax principle for finding the refractive index of a liquid?

Yes, there are some limitations. The principle only works for transparent liquids and may not be accurate for liquids with high refractive indices or those that are highly viscous. Additionally, the shape and size of the container may also affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. What are some applications of knowing the refractive index of a liquid?

The refractive index of a liquid is used in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and material science. It can be used to identify and characterize liquids, determine concentrations, and monitor chemical reactions. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics for quality control purposes.