Finding Resistance in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the parallel circuit has two resistors, R1 and R2, connected to a 30-volt source. The equivalent resistance is 6.0-ohms, with R1 having a resistance of 10.-ohms. The resistance of R2 is equal to 15-ohms.
Mashfeek
So there is a parallel circuit with two resistors, R1 and R2, and an ammeter that are connected to a constant 30-volt source. The equivalent resistance of the circuit is 6.0-ohms. The resistance of R1 is 10.-ohms. The resistance of R2 is equal to
a) 6.0 Ω
b) 2.0 Ω
c) 15 Ω
d) 4.0 Ω

1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2

1/6Ω = 1/10Ω + 1/R2, solve for R2
I plugged in the values and I got 15 Ω as my answer, but my teacher marked it as wrong in my homework.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mashfeek said:
So there is a parallel circuit with two resistors, R1 and R2, and an ammeter that are connected to a constant 30-volt source. The equivalent resistance of the circuit is 6.0-ohms. The resistance of R1 is 10.-ohms. The resistance of R2 is equal to
a) 6.0 Ω
b) 2.0 Ω
c) 15 Ω
d) 4.0 Ω

1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2

I plugged in the values and I got 15 Ω as my answer, but my teacher marked it as wrong in my homework.

Welcome to the PF.

I get 15 [STRIKE](well 14.99999...)[/STRIKE] too. Is there more to the question? Does the ammeter have some shunt resistance that you need to take into account?

Last edited:
Mashfeek said:
a) 6.0 Ω
b) 2.0 Ω
c) 15 Ω
d) 4.0 Ω

1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2

When resistors are connected in parallel, the effective resistance is always smaller than the smallest of the individual resistors. That means both of these two resistors has to have a resistance in excess of 6Ω.

The ONLY option to meet those conditions is 15Ω.

Your accurate calculation shows that to be the correct answer.

It appears your teacher has not recognised your correct answer.

EDIT: In case your teacher is being very technical ... Did you say R2 was equal to 15 Ohm, or did you say (c)

Are you sure there is nothing special about the circuit? Why are voltage source and the ammeter mentioned?

If the circuit is just two parallel resistors, your result is correct because 1/10 + 1/15 = 3/30 + 2/30 = 5/30 = 1/6.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I get 15 (well 14.99999...) too. Is there more to the question? Does the ammeter have some shunt resistance that you need to take into account?

Indeed: where is the ammeter connected in this circuit?

The other values given in the question that aren't useful are meant for other questions. I just really wanted to know if 15-ohms was the answer. My physics teacher makes a lot of mistakes. Thank you guys!

FAQ: Finding Resistance in a Parallel Circuit

1. How is resistance calculated in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated by finding the reciprocal of the sum of the individual resistances. This means that the total resistance is equal to 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rn represents the resistance of each individual branch.

2. Can the total resistance in a parallel circuit ever be less than the resistance of the smallest individual resistor?

No, the total resistance in a parallel circuit will always be less than the resistance of the smallest individual resistor. This is because the total resistance is calculated by adding the reciprocals of the individual resistances, and the reciprocal of a number is always larger than the number itself.

3. How does adding resistors in parallel affect the total resistance?

Adding resistors in parallel decreases the total resistance of the circuit. This is because the more paths there are for current to flow, the easier it is for the current to flow, resulting in a lower overall resistance.

4. How do I measure the resistance of a parallel circuit?

The total resistance of a parallel circuit can be measured using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance function and connect the probes to the two ends of the circuit. The reading on the multimeter will give you the total resistance of the circuit.

5. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit if one of the branches is removed?

If one of the branches in a parallel circuit is removed, the total resistance of the circuit will decrease. This is because removing a branch reduces the number of paths for current to flow, making it easier for the current to flow and resulting in a lower overall resistance.