Finding resultant at each pair of forces

That will be useful here. If not, that is something you can look up in your textbook or online. We can help you with that as well.It might also help to use some small angle approximations to simplify the math. For example, you could use the tangent function to find the angle of the resultant vector, and then use the small angle approximation for tan(theta) to find an approximate value for theta. That's a common trick in physics and engineering. Does that make sense to you?Ok, so I assume you meanOh, I'm sorry. I got confused somehow (probably because of all the different vectors and forces involved). I think you are correct. The angle of the force I calculated
ssb1
Find the resultant of each pair of forces acting on an object

Q: forces of 6 N southwest and 8 N northwest

I got 10 for the resultant, but how do I find the angle?

The answer is apparently is 10 N, N82degW

Having a hard time visualizing this...

Physics news on Phys.org
ssb1 said:
Find the resultant of each pair of forces acting on an object

Q: forces of 6 N southwest and 8 N northwest

I got 10 for the resultant, but how do I find the angle?

The answer is apparently is 10 N, N82degW

Having a hard time visualizing this...

Welcome to the PF.

(next time you start a schoolwork thread, please do not delete the Homework Help Template -- please fill it out instead) :smile:

Can you post a sketch of the two vectors, and show how you got the magnitude of the sum? Show the angles as well.

Are you familiar with converting between rectangular and polar forms of vectors?

FAQ: Finding resultant at each pair of forces

1. What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all of the individual forces acting on that object combined.

2. How do you find the resultant force at each pair of forces?

To find the resultant force at each pair of forces, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant force, and then use trigonometry to determine the direction of the resultant force.

3. What information do you need to find the resultant force at each pair of forces?

You will need to know the magnitudes and directions of the individual forces acting on the object in order to find the resultant force at each pair of forces.

4. Can the resultant force be smaller than the individual forces?

No, the resultant force cannot be smaller than the individual forces. It will always be equal to or greater than the individual forces, depending on the angle between them.

5. How does the angle between two forces affect the resultant force?

The angle between two forces will affect the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. If the forces are perpendicular, the resultant force will be equal to the sum of the individual forces. If the forces are parallel, the resultant force will be equal to the difference between the individual forces.

Back