Finding Resultant Force and Equilibrant: Components Math Problem

• Thread starter menal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, two forces of 40N and 50N acting at an angle of 60 degrees can be represented as a triangle with sides of 40 and 50 and an angle of 120 degrees between them. Using the cosine law, the resultant force is found to be 78.10N. The angle between the resultant force and the x-axis is found using the sine law to be 26.3 degrees. This also represents the equilibrant force.
menal

Homework Statement

two forces of 40N and 50N act at an angle of 60 degrees. determine the resultant force and the equilbrant

this is what i have so faar:
resultant=F1 + F2
let F1 be along the x axis
add x and y components:

F1x=40N
F1y= none since its along the x-axis.

F2x=F2cos60
F2y=F2sin60

add the forces in the y direction:=F2sin60
add the forces in the x direction:=40N+F2cos60

what would i do after this?

Physics news on Phys.org

F resultant = radical{(F2x)^2 + (F2y)^2}
that is the magnitude
as for the direstion find tan alpha where alpha is the angle between the x-axis and the resultant which is the division of F2y over F2x

menal said:

Homework Statement

two forces of 40N and 50N act at an angle of 60 degrees. determine the resultant force and the equilbrant

this is what i have so faar:
resultant=F1 + F2
let F1 be along the x axis
add x and y components:

F1x=40N
F1y= none since its along the x-axis.

F2x=F2cos60
F2y=F2sin60

add the forces in the y direction:=F2sin60
add the forces in the x direction:=40N+F2cos60

what would i do after this?
You are given that F2= 50 N. Why have you not put that in?
The x component is, as you said 40+ 50 cos(60) N and the y component is 50 sin(60).

Once you have found the components, Fx and Fy, its magnitude is
[tex]\sqrt{F_x^2+ F_y^2}[/tex]
(NOT [itex]\sqrt{F_ {2X}^2+ F_{2y}^2}[/itex] as elabed haidar has it. I think the fact that you did not put the value of F2 into the equation made him think F2 was the resultant)
and the angle the resultant makes with the F1 is
[tex]arctan\left(\frac{F_y}{F_x}\right)[/tex].

Personally, I wouldn't have used "components" at all. If you attach the two vectors "end to end" you have a triangle with two sides having length 40 and 50 and angle between them 180- 60= 120 degrees. You can use the cosine law to find the length of the opposite side (the magnitude of the resultant force) and then the sine law to find the angle the resultant force makes with whichever force you used as the first side of the triangle.

alright, so i did what you said:
I used the cosine law: (40)^2+(50)^2-2(40)(50)cos120 and gt sqrt(6100)= 78.10N
then i used the sine law: (a(sinB))/b --> (40)(sin120)/78.10 and got 26.3 degrees.
is that it? i know i found the resultant force, and now i found the equilibrant too?

Related to Finding Resultant Force and Equilibrant: Components Math Problem

What is a components math problem?

A components math problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves breaking down a larger problem into smaller, more manageable components. This can help make complex problems easier to solve.

Why are components math problems important?

Components math problems are important because they help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also allow for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and can be used to solve real-world problems.

What are some strategies for solving components math problems?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve components math problems, including breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids such as diagrams or charts, and using logical reasoning to find patterns and relationships between the components.

How can I improve my skills in solving components math problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving components math problems is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with increasingly difficult problems. You can also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor, and utilize online resources and tools to help you learn and practice.

Can components math problems be used in other subjects besides math?

Yes, components math problems can be used in other subjects such as science, engineering, and computer programming. They can also be applied to real-world scenarios and everyday problem-solving.