Finding resulting pressure in a pipe when water is heated

In summary: Volumetric coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much an object expands when it is heated. Bulk compressibility is a measure of how much an object can be compressed when it is compressed. In order to solve your problem, you will need to understand both of these quantities. The volumetric coefficient of thermal expansion of water is 1.2x10-6 K-1. Bulk compressibility is 1.5x10-6 Pa-1. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
TSN79
I work with pressurized pipe systems, and so I'm looking for some equation that link water temperature and pressure. In other words, when water in a closed system is heated, it expands, and so the static pressure increases. A typical problem will be determining the resulting pressure in a piece of pipe if the water in it is heated from say 5 to 90 degrees. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I work with pressurized pipe systems, and so I'm looking for some equation that link water temperature and pressure. In other words, when water in a closed system is heated, it expands, and so the static pressure increases. A typical problem will be determining the resulting pressure in a piece of pipe if the water in it is heated from say 5 to 90 degrees. Any ideas?
Does the water fill the pipe, or is there gas also? Can the pipe expand also when heated, or is it just the water?

Chestermiller said:
Does the water fill the pipe, or is there gas also? Can the pipe expand also when heated, or is it just the water?

There is only water, usually at 1-5 bars (gauge pressure). We mostly deal with regular steal pipes (SCH 20, 30, 40) up to DN150 so I'm not sure if pipe expansion is a factor to consider?

TSN79 said:
There is only water, usually at 1-5 bars (gauge pressure). We mostly deal with regular steal pipes (SCH 20, 30, 40) up to DN150 so I'm not sure if pipe expansion is a factor to consider?
What is the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion of steel, and what is the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion of water?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What is the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion of steel, and what is the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion of water?

Chet

They can both be found in the link, but I'm still not sure how to apply these values.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion#Volume_expansion

TSN79 said:
They can both be found in the link, but I'm still not sure how to apply these values.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion#Volume_expansion
I'd like you to be able to figure this out by yourself. I'm prepared to keep you pointing in the right direction.

Please tell me you understanding of the physical meaning of "volumetric coefficient of thermal expansion" and "bulk compressibility"? Understanding of both of these quantities will be necessary to solve your problem. If you aren't sure of their meaning, please look them up, and then get back to me with your understanding. If you have any questions about them, I will be glad to answer them.

Chet

FAQ: Finding resulting pressure in a pipe when water is heated

1. How does heating water affect the pressure in a pipe?

When water is heated, its molecules gain energy and begin to move faster. This increased movement causes the molecules to collide with the walls of the pipe more frequently and with more force, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. How can I calculate the resulting pressure in a pipe when water is heated?

The resulting pressure in a pipe can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and the number of moles of gas present. By knowing the initial pressure and temperature of the water, the final pressure can be determined using this equation.

3. What factors can affect the resulting pressure in a heated water pipe?

The resulting pressure in a heated water pipe can be affected by several factors, including the initial pressure and temperature of the water, the volume of the pipe, and the material of the pipe. Additionally, any obstructions or bends in the pipe can also impact the resulting pressure.

4. Is there a limit to how much the pressure can increase in a heated water pipe?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the pressure can increase in a heated water pipe. This is determined by the strength and durability of the pipe material, as well as the maximum temperature and pressure that it can withstand without bursting or breaking.

5. How can I safely release the pressure in a heated water pipe?

If the pressure in a heated water pipe becomes too high, it is important to safely release the pressure to avoid any potential hazards. This can be done by turning off the source of heat, allowing the water to cool down, and opening a valve or faucet to release the excess pressure slowly and safely.

Back