Finding sampling frequency for analog to digital conversion

In summary, the input signal to the a/d converter is a sine wave at 134.5π Hz with a phase shift of 0.1π radians. The output signal is also a sine wave, but with a frequency of 0.47π Hz and a phase shift of -0.1π radians. The sampling frequency (fs) of the a/d converter can be calculated by taking the ratio of the input signal frequency (fo) and the output signal frequency (fo/fs = 2*134.5/0.47 = 572.34). However, in this case, the input signal is under-sampled, meaning that the sampling frequency is not high enough to accurately capture the input signal. In order
Jd303
The input signal to an analog to digital converter is x(t) = 5.4 cos (134.5πt + 0.1π).
The output from the converter is y(n) = 5.4 cos (0.47πn - 0.1π).
Compute the sampling frequency (samples per second) of the analog to digital converter.
Hint: the continuous-time input signal is under-sampled in this case.

I have been doing questions like this recently, without too much trouble. However this one has me a little confused. I don't understand the theory behind how the value 0.1*pi changes to -0.1*pi in the output signal.

-If the output was 5.4cos(0.47*pi*n + 0.1*pi) I would do the following:
- fs = 2*134.5/0.47 = 572.34

-My attempt at this question is not much more than a guess, I have done:
3*fo - fs = 3*134.5 - 572.34 = 168.84

I would greatly appreciate anyone who is able to shed some light on this problem. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd303 said:
The input signal to an analog to digital converter is x(t) = 5.4 cos (134.5πt + 0.1π).
-If the output was 5.4cos(0.47*pi*n + 0.1*pi) I would do the following:
- fs = 2*134.5/0.47 = 572.34

-My attempt at this question is not much more than a guess, I have done:
3*fo - fs = 3*134.5 - 572.34 = 168.84

I would greatly appreciate anyone who is able to shed some light on this problem. Thanks! :smile:

Where do you get this from? Why "3fo"? Wy work with the 3rd harmonoc of fo?

What is the basic function the a/d performs? Your input signal is a sine wave of one and only one frequency, and the output is again a sinusoid of one and only one frequency. How are the three fundamental frequencies related to each other?

So focus on the fundamental frequencies of all three signals: input, sampling and output.

Hint No. 1: there are two and only two possible sampling frequencies involved. How does your superhet radio work? Its local oscillator performs the same function as the sampling a/d converter.

In order to resolve which of the two possible frequencies is the sampler, you then need to look at the phases of the input and output signals.

Hint No. 2:
sin(x)cos(y) = 1/2 sin(x-y) + 1/2 sin(x+y) or
cos(x)sin(y) = -1/2 sin(x-y) + 1/2 sin(x+y)

Hint no. 3: the a/d output is low-pass filtered so any signals well above the output frequency are attenuated to essentially zero. This should have been specified in the problem statement.

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding sampling frequency for analog to digital conversion

1. What is sampling frequency and why is it important for analog to digital conversion?

Sampling frequency refers to the rate at which an analog signal is measured and converted into a digital signal. It is important because it determines the accuracy and quality of the digital representation of the original analog signal.

2. How is the sampling frequency determined for a specific analog signal?

The sampling frequency is typically determined by the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, which states that the sampling frequency should be at least twice the highest frequency component of the analog signal to accurately reconstruct it in digital form.

3. Can a higher sampling frequency improve the quality of the digital signal?

Yes, a higher sampling frequency can improve the quality of the digital signal by capturing more data points and reducing the potential for distortion or aliasing. However, it also requires more storage space and processing power.

4. What are the potential consequences of choosing a sampling frequency that is too low?

If the sampling frequency is too low, the digital signal may not accurately represent the original analog signal, leading to distortion or loss of important information. This can result in a lower quality output and inaccurate analysis or interpretation of the data.

5. Are there any other factors besides the Nyquist-Shannon theorem that should be considered when determining the sampling frequency?

Yes, other factors such as the signal-to-noise ratio, bandwidth limitations, and the desired frequency resolution should also be taken into account when determining the sampling frequency for analog to digital conversion.

Back