Finding solution for three sets of planes

In summary, the given system of equations is solved using the scalar triple product and the unique solution is found to be (3, -5, 1). This solution does not satisfy the first equation, indicating a likely typo in the problem statement.
sushichan

Homework Statement

(I did not copy the problem statement, but basically solve the system of equations if there is solution and give a geometrical interpretation)

P1: 2x - y + 6z = 7
P2: 3x + 4y + 3z = -8
P3: x - 2y - 4z = 9

Homework Equations

Scalar triple product: n1(n2 × n3)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Step 1): Checked that they are not parallel

(Step 2): Checked that they are not coplanar

(Step 3): Find the unique solution
R2 - 3R3
⇒ 0x + 10y + 15z = -35
⇒ 6y + 9z = -21
R1 - 2R3
⇒ 0x + 3y + 14z = -11
⇒ 6y + 28z = -22

⇒ -21 - 9z = -22 - 28z
⇒ z = -1/19
⇒ y = -65/19
⇒ x = 37/19

(Edited: i double checked values for y & x)

Although the answer is that they intersect at (3, -5, 1)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like the part you left out (the actual problem statement) was the crucial part.

If the equations really are

Then x= 3, y= -5, z= 1 clearly is not the solution!
2(3)- (-5)+ 6(1)= 6+ 5+ 6= 17 NOT 7.

Since (3, -5, 1) do satisfy the other two equations, I suspect you have the first equation wrong.

Did you try substituting the given answer in the three plane equations? I think you will discover a typo.

Edit: strange... On two threads, I see a post by Halls posted half an hour before mine that wasn't visible to me until half an hour after mine.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
It looks to me like the part you left out (the actual problem statement) was the crucial part.

If the equations really are

Then x= 3, y= -5, z= 1 clearly is not the solution!
2(3)- (-5)+ 6(1)= 6+ 5+ 6= 17 NOT 7.

Since (3, -5, 1) do satisfy the other two equations, I suspect you have the first equation wrong.

Thank you! I re-did the question where the equation for my first plane is 2x - y + 6z = 17 and I got the answer :D

Related to Finding solution for three sets of planes

1. What is the process for finding a solution for three sets of planes?

The process for finding a solution for three sets of planes involves using linear algebra to solve a system of equations. This can be done by setting up a matrix, performing row operations, and finding the pivot variables to determine the solution.

2. How do you know if there is a solution for three sets of planes?

If the three sets of planes intersect at a single point, then there is a unique solution. If the three sets of planes are parallel and do not intersect, then there is no solution. If the three sets of planes are coincident, meaning they are the same plane, then there are infinitely many solutions.

3. Can you use technology to find a solution for three sets of planes?

Yes, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or computer software to solve a system of equations involving three sets of planes. These tools can perform the necessary matrix operations and show the solution in decimal or fraction form.

4. What is the importance of finding a solution for three sets of planes?

Finding a solution for three sets of planes is important in many fields of science and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving three-dimensional geometry, such as calculating the intersection point of three roads or the point of convergence for three laser beams.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding a solution for three sets of planes?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding a solution for three sets of planes. It is commonly used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional images, in navigation systems to determine the location of a moving object, and in engineering to solve problems involving three-dimensional structures.