Finding Solutions to "Introduction to Algorithms" Exercises

• Thread starter azerty12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercises
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of not having corrections for the exercises in the book "Introduction to algorithms" by Cormen, Rivest, Stein and Leiserson. The speaker mentions finding corrections online, but only a few of them. They also mention the possibility of finding solutions on the MIT Press website or through Google search, but suggest figuring them out on one's own. Lastly, they jokingly suggest hiring a grad student for help.
azerty12
Hi,
I'm studying algorithmic on "Introduction to algorithms" by Cormen, Rivest, Stein and Leiserson.
This book is very well done and proposes more than a thousand exercises, but the point is these exercises are not corrected. It enables us to really search them, but it is frustrating when you search an exercise and don't find it.

I found some corrections on the Internet, but few of them only.

Would anyone know whether it is possible to have more corrections please?

thank you

Technology news on Phys.org
by corrections you mean solutions right?

Because sometimes books do provide solutions to exercises at end the book but often the solutions are not entirely correct and so online you might find errata pages for the book submitted by knowledgeable readers that indicate where the book solution was wrong and what the correction you need to make to the book's solution to make it correct.

wikipedia has a reference to this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Algorithms

and to the MIT Press website where select solutions are published

http://mitpress.mit.edu/algorithms/#solutions

for those missing solutions, I think you'll just have to GOOGLE search them or better yet figure them out
for yourself.

Unless of course you're an instructor and can get access to the instructors manual or hire
a poor grad student pay him minimally and/or provide free snacks and he'll figure them out for you.

Last edited:
I think I'm gone pay myself snacks then ! ;)

Related to Finding Solutions to "Introduction to Algorithms" Exercises

1. How do I approach solving exercises in "Introduction to Algorithms"?

There is no one set approach to solving exercises in "Introduction to Algorithms". However, some tips include: understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, trying out different strategies, and using prior knowledge from the textbook.

2. What resources can I use to help me find solutions to exercises in "Introduction to Algorithms"?

Aside from the textbook, there are many online resources available to help you find solutions to exercises in "Introduction to Algorithms". These include forums, blogs, and YouTube videos that discuss and explain various solutions to the exercises.

3. How can I check if my solution to an exercise in "Introduction to Algorithms" is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is by using an online compiler or IDE to run your code. This will allow you to test your solution with different inputs and see if it produces the expected output. Additionally, you can compare your solution with others' solutions to see if they match.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on an exercise in "Introduction to Algorithms"?

If you are stuck on an exercise, it is important to not get discouraged. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the exercise with classmates or seeking help from a tutor or professor.

5. Are there any specific techniques or algorithms I should focus on when solving exercises in "Introduction to Algorithms"?

There are many techniques and algorithms covered in "Introduction to Algorithms" and it is important to have a general understanding of all of them. However, some commonly used techniques include recursion, dynamic programming, and greedy algorithms.