Finding speed from position equation

In summary, the homework statement is about finding the speed of a particle given a space curve function. The attempt at a solution is to use the radical equation, which is equal to 4(\sin^22t + \cos^22t) + 9\ =\ 4(1)+9. The professor was right, and the coefficient in front of x/t/whatever allowed for the sin2x + cos2x = 1 identity to work.
TehDarkArchon

Homework Statement

We just had a test in my calc 3 class, and I'm pretty sure my teacher has the wrong solution to one of the answers. The question is about finding the speed of a particle given a space curve function r(t) = (cos2t)i + (3t - 1)j + (sin2t)k.

Homework Equations

v(t) = (x',y',z')
|v(t)| = √(x' + y' + z')

The Attempt at a Solution

For velocity I get (-2sin2t)i + (3)j + (2cos2t)k. Now, for speed I put √(4sin22t + 4cos22t + 9) = 2(sin2t + cos2t) + 3. He marked it wrong saying that it can be reduced to √(4+9) = √(13). I was under the impression that the sin2x + cos2x = 1 identity only works if the variable stands alone in the function, as sin2t/cos2t calls for a double angle formula.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2+c^2}\ne a+b+c[/itex]

Under the radical, you had [itex]4\sin^22t + 4\cos^22t + 9[/itex]

This is equal to [itex]4(\sin^22t + \cos^22t) + 9\ =\ 4(1)+9[/itex]

Look like your professor was right.

Hmm I really never knew you could have any coefficient in front of x/t/whatever and still use the sin2x + cos2x = 1 identity. Oh well thanks a lot for the input

TehDarkArchon said:
I was under the impression that the sinx + cosx = 1 identity only works if the variable stands alone in the function, as sin2t/cos2t calls for a double angle formula.

I assume that you really meant sin2x + cos2x = 1.

If you have something like 9sin2(4x) + 9cos2(4x), you can factor out the 9 to get
9(sin2(4x) + cos2(4x)) = 9 * 1 = 9.

You don't have to expand sin(2x) or sin(4x) or whatever. The identity is sin2<whatever> + cos2<whatever> = 1, as long as the <whatever> is the same in both places.

Ahh okay thank you both. That's very helpful for the future, and I guess my ignorance here is due to the fact that I've never really worked with a function like that before, but upon reviewing the derivation for the identity it does make sense. I feel pretty stupid for asking something so trivial, but thanks again

Related to Finding speed from position equation

What is the basic equation for finding speed from position?

The basic equation for finding speed from position is speed = distance / time. This equation is known as the average speed formula and is used to calculate the average speed of an object over a certain distance and time.

How is the position of an object related to its speed?

The position of an object is directly related to its speed. As the object moves, its position changes, and the speed can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. The greater the change in position over a given time, the greater the speed of the object.

What units are used for speed and position in this equation?

The units used for speed and position in this equation may vary depending on the system of measurement being used. However, common units for speed include meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph). Position is typically measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km).

Can this equation be used for objects with changing speed?

Yes, this equation can be used for objects with changing speed, as long as the average speed is being calculated. However, for objects with constantly changing speed, the equation for finding average speed may not accurately represent the object's speed at a specific moment in time.

How can this equation be applied in real-world situations?

The equation for finding speed from position is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and transportation. It can be applied in real-world situations to calculate the average speed of moving objects, such as cars, airplanes, and even people. This equation can also be used to analyze the motion of objects and determine their velocity and acceleration.