Finding Speed of Object Under Central Force: Equations & Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses an object of mass M moving under the influence of an attractive central force and finding its speed v as a function of M, A, and R. The solution involves equating the force needed to keep an object in circular motion with the given central force and using the formula F=ma to find the acceleration.
postfan

Homework Statement

An object of mass M moves under the influence of an attractive central force F = - A r^4 \hat{r} where \hat{r} is a unit vector in the radial direction.
If the object is in a circular orbit of radius R , find its speed v as a function of M,A, and,R.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the above equation to v=sqrt(ar). I know that the radius is R but I don't know what the acceleration is. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the force necessary to keep a mass M in circular motion with radius R?

Equate this force with the given force.

I don't understand what you are saying.

You need to think about the centripetal force.

[itex]F=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

That is the force needed to keep an object in circular motion. Equate this with your central force.

Last edited:
postfan said:
[itex]F = - A r^4 \hat{r}[/itex]
You also know the constant A, the radius R, and the mass M. So what's the acceleration?

I still don't understand. Could you please give me a hint?

F=ma. Divide the force by the mass.

Related to Finding Speed of Object Under Central Force: Equations & Solution

1. What is a central force and how does it affect the speed of an object?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards a fixed point, known as the center of force. This force affects the speed of an object by changing its direction towards or away from the center of force, while keeping its magnitude constant.

2. How do you calculate the speed of an object under a central force?

The speed of an object under a central force can be calculated using the equation v = sqrt(GM/r), where v is the speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, and r is the distance between the object and the center of force.

3. What factors affect the speed of an object under a central force?

The speed of an object under a central force is affected by the mass of the central object, the distance between the object and the center of force, and the magnitude of the central force itself. Additionally, the speed can also be affected by any external forces acting on the object.

4. How do you find the direction of an object's velocity under a central force?

The direction of an object's velocity under a central force can be found using the equation θ = tan^-1(vr/GM), where θ is the angle between the object's velocity and the radius vector, v is the speed, r is the distance between the object and the center of force, and GM is the product of the gravitational constant and the mass of the central object.

5. Can the speed of an object under a central force change?

Yes, the speed of an object under a central force can change if any of the factors affecting it, such as the magnitude of the central force or the distance from the center of force, change. For example, if the distance between the object and the center of force increases, the speed of the object will decrease.