Finding surface area with volume

In summary, the conversation is about a test for advance functions where the question asks for the minimum surface area and dimensions of a pop can with a volume of 350ml. The conversation discusses the equations used to find the surface area and where the person got stuck in their calculations. They also mention not having learned about the first and second derivative tests yet. The expert advises them to use these tests or graphical methods to find the minimum surface area. The expert also suggests that the person may have been given a fact that could help them find the dimensions directly.
ahmedb
Ok, so I did a test today for advance functions and there was a question: the volume of a pop can is 350ml, find the minimum surface area and determine the dimensions.
Where I got stuck:350=pi(r)^2*h
h=350/pi(r)^2SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)( h)
SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)(350/pi(r)^2)=(2(pi(r)^3+350))/(pi(r))I'm stuck here :S

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MoneyKing said:
Ok, so I did a test today for advance functions and there was a question: the volume of a pop can is 350ml, find the minimum surface area and determine the dimensions.
Where I got stuck:350=pi(r)^2*h
h=350/pi(r)^2SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)( h)
SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)(350/pi(r)^2)=(2(pi(r)^3+350))/(pi(r))I'm stuck here :S

Hi MoneyKing, :)

You should get,

\[A_{s}=\frac{2(\pi r^3+350)}{r}\]

Use, the first derivative test or the second derivative test to find out the value of \(r\) which minimizes \(A_{s}\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:

You should get,

\[A_{s}=\frac{2(\pi r^3+350)}{r}\]

Use, the first derivative test or the second derivative test to find out the value of \(r\) which minimizes \(A_{s}\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
Hey Sudharaka,
How did you get \[A_{s}=\frac{2(\pi r^3+350)}{r}\]
and I didn't learn how to do the first derivative test or the second, can you show me, or tell me where I can learn how to do that?
please and thanks

MoneyKing said:
Hey Sudharaka,
How did you get \[A_{s}=\frac{2(\pi r^3+350)}{r}\]
and I didn't learn how to do the first derivative test or the second, can you show me, or tell me where I can learn how to do that?
please and thanks

You have made a mistake in the highlighted part in post #1.

\[350=\pi r^2 h\mbox{ and }A_{S}=2\pi r^2+2\pi r h\]

\[\Rightarrow A_{S}=2\pi r^2+2\pi r\left(\frac{350}{\pi r^2}\right)\]

\[\Rightarrow A_{S}=\frac{2(\pi r^3+350)}{r}\]

There are loads of resources on the internet that you can learn about the first and second derivative tests. Here are two videos that you will find useful.

First Derivative Test: Calculus: 3.2 - Extrema and the First-Derivative Test - YouTubeSecond Derivative Test: Calculus: Concavity and the Second-Derivative Test - YouTube

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:

You have made a mistake in the highlighted part in post #1.

\[350=\pi r^2 h\mbox{ and }A_{S}=2\pi r^2+2\pi r h\]

\[\Rightarrow A_{S}=2\pi r^2+2\pi r\left(\frac{350}{\pi r^2}\right)\]

\[\Rightarrow A_{S}=\frac{2(\pi r^3+350)}{r}\]

There are loads of resources on the internet that you can learn about the first and second derivative tests. Here are two videos that you will find useful.

First Derivative Test: Calculus: 3.2 - Extrema and the First-Derivative Test - YouTubeSecond Derivative Test: Calculus: Concavity and the Second-Derivative Test - YouTube

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
thanks I see my mistake, umm if possible can you show me how to do this question? I still didn't take calculus, I just started Advance Functions, just finished first chapter

I don't think you would gain much from seeing differential calculus applied to find the extrema. Since you have not had calculus yet, I suspect you are to use graphical means to approximate the value of r for which the surface area is minimized.

If you graph the function, your calculator may even have a feature which allows you to find the minimum.

edit: It is also possible you may have been given the fact that for a given volume, the cylinder with minimum surface area has its height equal to its diameter. This would allow you to find the dimensions directly.

Last edited:

Related to Finding surface area with volume

1. How do you find the surface area from the given volume?

To find the surface area from a given volume, you will need to know the shape of the object. Different shapes have different formulas for finding their surface area. For example, the surface area of a cube can be found by multiplying the length of one side by itself, and then multiplying that by 6. It's important to know the specific formula for the shape you are working with.

2. Can you explain the relationship between surface area and volume?

The surface area and volume of an object are related, but they are not directly proportional. As the volume of an object increases, the surface area does not increase at the same rate. In fact, as the volume of an object increases, the surface area will increase at a slower rate. This is because the volume is a measure of the three-dimensional space inside an object, while the surface area is a measure of the outside of the object.

3. Is there a specific unit for measuring surface area and volume?

Yes, the unit for measuring surface area is square units (such as square inches or square meters) and the unit for measuring volume is cubic units (such as cubic inches or cubic meters). It's important to use the correct units when working with surface area and volume to ensure accurate calculations.

4. Can you find the surface area if the volume is not given?

No, you cannot find the surface area if the volume is not given. The volume is a necessary piece of information in order to calculate the surface area. However, if the dimensions (length, width, and height) of the object are given, you can find the volume and then use that information to find the surface area.

5. Are there any real-life applications for finding surface area with volume?

Yes, finding the surface area with volume is a common task in many fields of science and engineering. It can be used to determine the amount of paint needed to cover a certain object, the amount of material needed to construct a structure, or the amount of packaging needed for a product. It is also important in understanding the properties and behavior of various objects, such as how heat is transferred in a cooking pan or how water is absorbed by a plant's leaves.