Finding surface charge densities and potential (metal cylinder)

In summary: The Attempt at a Solutiona) In summary, the surface charge densities at R, a, and b are ##\sigma_R=\frac{Q}{2\pi RL}##, ##\sigma_a=-\frac{Q}{2\pi aL}##, and ##\sigma_b=\frac{Q}{2\pi bL}## respectively.b) The electric potential at the center, using ##r=b## as the reference point, is given by ##V=-\int_b^a \frac{\sigma_b}{r}dr-\int_a^R \frac{\sigma_a}{r}dr##. Since the potential does not change inside a conductor, the integral from 0 to ##R
ghostfolk

Homework Statement

A solid metal cylinder of radius ##R## and length ##L##, carrying a charge ##Q##, is surrounded by a thick coaxial metal shell of inner radius ##a## and outer radius ##b##. The shell carries no net charge.
a) Find the surface charge desnities ##\sigma## at ##R##, at ##a##, and at ##b##.
b) Find the potential at the center using ##r=b## as the reference point.

Homework Equations

##\sigma=q/A##, ##A_{cyl}=2\pi rh##, ##V(r)=-\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{\sigma}{r} da##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##\sigma_R=\frac{Q}{2\pi RL}## ##\sigma_a=\frac{Q}{2\pi aL}## ##\sigma_b=\frac{Q}{2\pi bL}##

b) ##V=-\int_b^a \frac{\sigma_b}{r}da-\int_a^R \frac{\sigma_a}{r}da-\int_R^0 \frac{\sigma_R}{r}da##
##da=2\pi RLdr##

Physics news on Phys.org
ghostfolk said:

Homework Statement

A solid metal cylinder of radius ##R## and length ##L##, carrying a charge ##Q##, is surrounded by a thick coaxial metal shell of inner radius ##a## and outer radius ##b##. The shell carries no net charge.
a) Find the surface charge desnities ##\sigma## at ##R##, at ##a##, and at ##b##.
b) Find the potential at the center using ##r=b## as the reference point.

Homework Equations

##\sigma=q/A##, ##A_{cyl}=2\pi rh##, ##V(r)=-\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{\sigma}{r} da##

The last equation is not correct. How are the potential function V(r) and the electric field E(r) related ?

You should integrate with respect to the variable the integrand depends on. If you integrate a function depending on r , write it as ##\int f(r)dr ## instead of ##\int f(r) da##. If you use fixed boundaries in the integral for r the result can not depend on r .
Moreover, a means the inner radius of the shell, do not use it as an integrating variable.

ghostfolk said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##\sigma_R=\frac{Q}{2\pi RL}## ##\sigma_a=\frac{Q}{2\pi aL}## ##\sigma_b=\frac{Q}{2\pi bL}##

b) ##V=-\int_b^a \frac{\sigma_b}{r}da-\int_a^R \frac{\sigma_a}{r}da-\int_R^0 \frac{\sigma_R}{r}da##
##da=2\pi RLdr##
The surface charge densities are all right, but the sign of the surface charge density at a is not correct.
I do not understand what you tried to say with line b). Does the potential change inside a conductor?

ehild

ehild said:
The last equation is not correct. How are the potential function V(r) and the electric field E(r) related ?
You should integrate with respect to the variable the integrand depends on. If you integrate a function depending on r , write it as ##\int f(r)dr ## instead of ##\int f(r) da##. If you use fixed boundaries in the integral for r the result can not depend on r .
Moreover, a means the inner radius of the shell, do not use it as an integrating variable.
I should've made it made it more clear that ##da## is the normal vector of the surface area of the cylinder so that ##d\vec{a}=2 \pi RLdr\hat{r}##

ehild said:
The surface charge densities are all right, but the sign of the surface charge density at a is not correct.
I do not understand what you tried to say with line b). Does the potential change inside a conductor?
Yeah I forgot the minus sign. Also the potential does not change in the conductor so I should remove the integral that goes from 0 to ##R##

Last edited:
ghostfolk said:
I should've made it made it more clear that ##da## is the normal vector of the surface area of the cylinder so that ##d\vec{a}=2 \pi RLdr\hat{r}##
Note that the potential is line integral of the negative electric field instead of a surface integral.

ghostfolk said:
Yeah I forgot the minus sign. Also the potential does not change in the conductor so I should remove the integral that goes from 0 to ##R##

That is right, but it is zero also somewhere else.

ehild

##V=-\frac{Q}{2L}(\ln(b)-\ln(a)+\ln(R))##
##V=\frac{Q}{2L}\ln\left(\frac{Rb}{a}\right)##

I would like to first clarify that the solution provided is correct and follows the appropriate mathematical equations. Additionally, I would like to point out that the surface charge density at each point is dependent on the charge and dimensions of the cylinder, as well as the distance from the center. This means that the values of ##\sigma## may change if any of these variables are altered.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the potential at the center of the cylinder is determined by the reference point chosen, in this case being ##r=b##. If a different reference point were chosen, the potential may have a different value.

Overall, this problem highlights the relationship between charge, surface charge density, and potential in a metal cylinder surrounded by a coaxial shell. It is a good exercise in applying mathematical equations and understanding the concept of electric potential.

Related to Finding surface charge densities and potential (metal cylinder)

1. How do you measure surface charge densities on a metal cylinder?

To measure surface charge densities on a metal cylinder, you can use a device called a surface charge density probe. This probe is equipped with a small sensor that can detect the electric field around the cylinder and calculate the surface charge density based on the measured field strength.

2. What factors affect the surface charge density on a metal cylinder?

The surface charge density on a metal cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the charge on the cylinder, the radius of the cylinder, the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium, and the distance from the cylinder to other charged objects.

3. How can you calculate the potential of a metal cylinder?

To calculate the potential of a metal cylinder, you can use the formula V = Q/4πεr, where V is the potential, Q is the charge on the cylinder, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

4. What is the relationship between surface charge density and potential on a metal cylinder?

The relationship between surface charge density and potential on a metal cylinder is inversely proportional. This means that as the surface charge density increases, the potential decreases, and vice versa.

5. How can you use the information about surface charge density and potential on a metal cylinder?

The information about surface charge density and potential on a metal cylinder can be used to study the behavior of electric fields and charges in different situations. It can also be used to design and optimize devices that utilize electric fields, such as capacitors or electrostatic precipitators.