Finding tangential force exerted by a rotating cylinder at a given point.

In summary, a vertical cylindrical CNC machine tool with a mass of 0.75Kg, 0.015m diameter and height of 0.025m is rotating at 2000 rpm and cutting material due to tangential force applied on the workpiece. To find the tangential force, the formula for moment of inertia should be ##I=\frac{1}{2}mr^2## and the correct value of angular velocity should be calculated using the formula ##ω=(2∏N)/60##. The discrepancy in the calculated force may be due to incorrect values used in the calculations.
gauravmech1
Consider a vertical cylindrical CNC machine tool with mass of 0.75Kg, 0.015m diameter and height of 0.025m.

It is rotating at 2000 rpm.

While rotating it cuts some material. This cutting action takes place due to tangential force applied on the workpiece as shown below:

[URL]http://C:\Users\GAURAV\Desktop\Paper[/URL] applied jrnl\cutting analysis sorted paper

From the given data can we fing the tangential force being exerted by the tool on the workpiece.

In short we have to find the force which will be applied by any point on the periphery of the tool due to is mass and roatating motion.

is this approach right:

N=1200
ω=(2∏N)/60

MoI of cylinder abt axis I=mr/2
Torque T=I.ω
also T =F*r

Hence F is found but it comes very small. Hence I doubt is this tangential force or any other and what is the right approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gauravmech1 said:
MoI of cylinder abt axis I=mr/2
The moment of inertia of a cylinder about its axis is ##I=\frac{1}{2}mr^2## not ##I=\frac{1}{2}mr##. Maybe the formula you quoted is a typo on your part maybe that's where the problem is. Certainly underestimating the moment of inertia will underestimate the torque and hence the force. Also, you say that the cylinder is rotating at 2000 rpm but then you use 1200 rpm for your calculation of ##\omega##. Is that also a mistake or does the cylinder slow down from 2000 to 1200 rpm when it starts cutting? Without the benefit of seeing your calculation in detail, we will not be able to help you sort this out.

Related to Finding tangential force exerted by a rotating cylinder at a given point.

1. What is tangential force?

Tangential force is a type of force that acts tangentially, or perpendicular, to the radius of a circle. It is the force that causes an object to move in a circular motion.

2. How is tangential force related to a rotating cylinder?

In a rotating cylinder, tangential force is the force that is exerted on an object at a given point on the surface of the cylinder. This force is responsible for causing the object to move in a circular path.

3. How can I calculate the tangential force exerted by a rotating cylinder at a given point?

The tangential force exerted by a rotating cylinder at a given point can be calculated using the formula F = mrω2, where F is the tangential force, m is the mass of the object, r is the radius of the cylinder, and ω is the angular velocity of the cylinder.

4. Does the tangential force exerted by a rotating cylinder change at different points on the surface?

Yes, the tangential force exerted by a rotating cylinder can vary at different points on the surface. This is because the radius and angular velocity may differ at different points, causing the tangential force to also differ.

5. How is tangential force different from centrifugal force?

Tangential force and centrifugal force are related, but they are not the same. Tangential force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that an object experiences as a result of its circular motion.