Finding Tension in a Beam Supported by a Pulley: Solving for Equilibrium

• Thread starter taxidriverhk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Pulley
In summary, the system is assumed to be in equilibrium, with ΣF=0 and ΣM=0. After drawing a free-body diagram and setting up equations, the weight of the beam was neglected in the equations, and the placement of the weight at the center of the beam was incorrect. Once these errors were corrected, the correct values for FA and T were obtained.
taxidriverhk

Homework Statement

Ho3pV26.jpg

[Ans: FA = -206i + 188j lb, T = 131 lb]

Homework Equations

Since it's assumed that the system is in equilibrium, so I assume that ΣF=0 and ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw a free-body diagram for the system, and set up three equations below:
nX4yG9y.jpg

(I don't know the direction of FA yet, so I assume that both components are in positive direction)
ΣFx = FAx + Tcos45° + Tcos30° = 0
ΣFy = FAy - 150 - W + Tsin45° + Tsin30° = 0
ΣMz [Moment centered at A] = (16)(-150 - W) + (40)(Tsin30° + Tsin45°) + (6)(Tcos30° + Tcos45°) = 0

When I solved the third equation to find tension T, it didn't give me the right answer, I am not sure which part I did wrong, maybe I missed some forces on the free-body diagram, so I made a wrong equation of ΣMz?
Any hints or approaches are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the FBD, and when calculating the moments, you don't put W = 20 kg at mid-point along the beam...

To clarify what NTW was trying to tell you, you somehow neglected to include the weight of the beam in your equations of static equilibrium.

SteamKing said:
To clarify what NTW was trying to tell you, you somehow neglected to include the weight of the beam in your equations of static equilibrium.
I think I had included the weight of the beam in FBD and equations, but maybe NTW is trying to tell me that the weight should be in another point along the beam?

taxidriverhk said:
I think I had included the weight of the beam in FBD and equations, but maybe NTW is trying to tell me that the weight should be in another point along the beam?

taxidriverhk said:

Homework Statement

Ho3pV26.jpg

[Ans: FA = -206i + 188j lb, T = 131 lb]

Homework Equations

Since it's assumed that the system is in equilibrium, so I assume that ΣF=0 and ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw a free-body diagram for the system, and set up three equations below:
nX4yG9y.jpg

(I don't know the direction of FA yet, so I assume that both components are in positive direction)
ΣFx = FAx + Tcos45° + Tcos30° = 0
ΣFy = FAy - 150 - W + Tsin45° + Tsin30° = 0
ΣMz [Moment centered at A] = (16)(-150 - W) + (40)(Tsin30° + Tsin45°) + (6)(Tcos30° + Tcos45°) = 0

When I solved the third equation to find tension T, it didn't give me the right answer, I am not sure which part I did wrong, maybe I missed some forces on the free-body diagram, so I made a wrong equation of ΣMz?
Any hints or approaches are much appreciated.

If the beam has a mass of 20 kg, then the weight in lbs is easy to calculate. (Hint: using 2 lbs/kg is not really acceptable. 2.2 lbs/kg is more accurate)

If the beam has a uniform cross-section, then using a c.g. of 16 in. from A is not correct either. The c.g. of a uniform bar is going to be half its length, as measured from one end.

taxidriverhk said:

Exactly. Mid-point, as it's a uniform beam...

FAQ: Finding Tension in a Beam Supported by a Pulley: Solving for Equilibrium

What is a beam supported by a pulley?

A beam supported by a pulley is a simple machine that uses a pulley to support and distribute the weight of a beam. The pulley allows for the beam to be lifted or lowered with minimal effort.

How does a beam supported by a pulley work?

A beam supported by a pulley works by utilizing the principle of mechanical advantage. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the beam by distributing the weight evenly across the pulley system.

What are the different types of pulley systems used for a beam?

There are three main types of pulley systems used for a beam: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object, movable pulleys are attached to the beam, and compound pulleys combine both fixed and movable pulleys.

What are the advantages of using a beam supported by a pulley?

The main advantage of using a beam supported by a pulley is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or lower the beam. This can make tasks easier and more efficient, especially when dealing with heavy loads.

What are the real-world applications of a beam supported by a pulley?

A beam supported by a pulley has many real-world applications, including construction, transportation, and industrial settings. It is often used to lift heavy objects, such as building materials, engines, and machinery.