Finding tension in a wire in our static equilibrium unit

In summary, the question asks for the tension in a wire that is suspended between two telephone poles 40m apart and has a 0.5kg bird perched at its midpoint, causing it to sag 2m. After comparing answers with friends, half got a different answer than the other half. The solution involves using torque and assuming the wire is horizontal, which may not be accurate as it is shaped like a catenary. However, simplifying the problem and assuming the wire is horizontal, the tension can be found using the equation 2Tsin(theta) = mg, where theta is the inverse tangent of 0.1. The final answer may be off by a factor of two.
MeckWarrior
This is the final question on a static equilibrium quiz i had today (physics 12). when comparing answers (as you tend to do after the quiz "did you get x for question y?"), half of my friends (all of equal ability in the course) got a different answer from me, and the other half the same. I am wondering if i have done this correctly.

Homework Statement

a wire is suspended by 2 telephone poles 40m apart. a 0.5kg bird lands directly at the midpoint of the wire, causing it to sag 2m below the original height. what is the tension in the wire.
bird mass = 0.5kg
wire length = 40m
wire displacement at center = 2m

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau=F(r\sin{\theta})[/tex]
[tex]\tau=F\times r\bot[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I wouldn't need θ, because I already have the leaver arm (r⊥). calculating both of these (x-axis as r⊥ and y-axis as F, and vice-versa respectively) should each yield a value with the units in m∙N (torque). Am I correct in assuming these torques will be equal (or opposite?)

Right half of wire freebody diagrams (only components pictured, no hypotenuse drawn):
___________20m___________ (distance : r⊥)
|
|
| 0.5kg∙9.8m/s² = 4.9N (force : F)
|
|

____________T____________ (force : F)
|
|
| 2m (distance : r⊥)
|
|

[tex]4.9N \times 20m = T \times 2m[/tex]
[tex]\frac{4.9N \times 20m}{2m} = T[/tex]
[tex]49N = T[/tex]

others in my class insist that i should have divided 49N by 2, but wouldn't that be finding the tension in just half of the wire?
or have i made assumptions that just don't work (using torque to solve the question to begin with, which is where i suspect i may have went wrong) elsewhere in my work?

thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was stumped at first, but now realize you assume the wire is horizontal to begin with when its shape is that of a catenary, see,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

but if we simplify the problem and assume the wire is horizontal then,

2Tsin(theta) = mg

where theta = inverse tangent(.1)

I think your answer is off by a factor of two. Draw a free body diagram of the situation.

Related to Finding tension in a wire in our static equilibrium unit

1. How do you determine the tension in a wire?

To determine the tension in a wire, you need to use the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass attached to the wire, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the mass. You can also use a force sensor to directly measure the tension in the wire.

2. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state where all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no movement or acceleration of the object. In other words, the object is at rest and there is no net force acting on it.

3. Why is finding tension in a wire important?

Finding tension in a wire is important because it allows us to understand the forces acting on an object in a static equilibrium situation. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various real-world applications such as construction, engineering, and design.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a wire?

The tension in a wire can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the wire, the acceleration of the object, the length and thickness of the wire, and the angle at which the wire is attached. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also impact the tension in the wire.

5. How can you increase the tension in a wire?

To increase the tension in a wire, you can either increase the mass attached to the wire or increase the acceleration of the mass. You can also use a shorter and thicker wire or change the angle at which the wire is attached to increase the tension. Additionally, you can apply external forces such as pulling or tightening the wire to increase its tension.