Finding Tension using Newton's Laws

In summary, the question asks what angle must the two wires supporting a picture frame make with the vertical in order for the tension in each wire to be equal to 0.75 times the weight of the frame. Using Newton's laws of motion, we can determine that the angle must be approximately 48 degrees, not 42 degrees as originally calculated.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A picture frame hung against a wall is suspended by two wires attached to its upper corners. If the two wires make the same angle with the vertical, what must this angle be if the tension in each wire is equal to 0.75 of the weight of the frame. Ignore any friction between the wall and picture frame.

Homework Equations

Newton's laws of motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

The picture frame has a weight w.

The question states that the tension of the wire is 0.75w. Since the picture frame has zero acceleration, it is in equilibrium. I drew a picture to clarify my thought process:

http://i.imgur.com/oR8HST0.png

ƩFx = 0

ƩFx = T2cos(θ) - T1cos(θ) = 0
This tells us that T2 = T1 = 0.75w

ƩFy = 0

ƩFy = T1sin(θ) + T2sin(θ) - w = 0

ƩFy = T1sin(θ) + T1sin(θ) - w = 0

= 2Tsin(θ) - w = 0

= 1.5wsin(θ) = w

= sin(θ) = (2/3)

Taking the arcsine gives approximately 42 degrees, but the angle is 48 degrees and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mangoes said:
Taking the arcsine gives approximately 42 degrees, but the angle is 48 degrees and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I suspect that they want the angle with respect to the vertical, not the horizontal.

Hi Mangoes! :smile:
Mangoes said:
… If the two wires make the same angle with the vertical, what must this angle be …

Nice diagram! :smile:

But you've marked the wrong angle as θ! :cry:

Oh wow...

I even typed it and everything and still didn't pick up that vertical part in my head.

Thanks a lot guys.

Usually, most pictures are hung using a single nail, so that the wires form an inverted V with respect to the picture.

Related to Finding Tension using Newton's Laws

1. How do Newton's Laws relate to finding tension?

Newton's laws of motion, particularly the first and second law, can be used to calculate the tension in a system. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying these laws to a system with tension, we can solve for the unknown tension force.

2. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, string, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a pulling force that is always directed along the length of the object and is equal in magnitude at both ends of the object.

3. How do you calculate tension using Newton's Laws?

To calculate tension using Newton's laws, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the system. This diagram should show all the forces acting on the object, including the tension force. Then, apply the first and second law to the object to create an equation with the unknown tension force. Solve for the tension force using algebraic manipulation.

4. Can tension be negative?

Yes, tension can be negative. A negative tension force indicates that the rope or cable is being pushed instead of pulled. This can happen when an object is being lowered or when there is a change in direction of the rope.

5. What is the difference between tension and weight?

Tension and weight are two different types of forces. Tension is a pulling force that is transmitted through a rope or cable, while weight is a force that is exerted on an object due to gravity. Tension can vary depending on the forces acting on an object, while weight remains constant as long as the object's mass and the strength of gravity remain constant.