Finding Terminal Velocity of a Balloon in Free Fall

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall and whether the formula velocity = Distance / Time can be used for this measurement. It is determined that this formula is only valid when acceleration is zero and other equations, such as vt = √(m.g/k), should be used to find terminal velocity. The conversation also suggests graphing the velocity of the balloon to see a flattening as the acceleration approaches zero, which would indicate the terminal velocity. It is also noted that the average velocity for each drop is not necessarily equal to the terminal velocity, as the balloon may not be at terminal velocity for the entire drop.
luigihs
Hi everyone, I am doing a lab report about free fall, but I have to find the terminal velocity for the balloon, but I don't know if I can use the formula velocity = Distance / Time because I have 10 measures from free fall ( 0.2 m - 2 m) , and I have the time that it took to hit the ground.
For example;
0.2 cm reached the ground on 0.41 seconds.

Using Velocity = Distance / Time
0.2 / 0.41
V= 0.4878

*I also have to graph the velocity from the balloon. So is why I thinking of doing Velocity = Distance / Time and with the graph the last measurement I will get the final velocity but I not sure..

Physics news on Phys.org
luigihs said:
Hi everyone, I am doing a lab report about free fall, but I have to find the terminal velocity for the balloon, but I don't know if I can use the formula velocity = Distance / Time because I have 10 measures from free fall ( 0.2 m - 2 m) , and I have the time that it took to hit the ground.

No you cannot use v=d/t because that eqn is valid only when acceleration is 0
Do you know any equation for distance when there is some acceleration ?

While it is against the rules of this forum to tell you how to go about this experiment, think about the shape a graph of times versus heights and what can be deduced from the plot and your equation.

well, total distance/total time = average velocity. Now you have to think: does the average velocity of the balloon approximately equal the terminal velocity of the balloon? And you'll need to justify your answer in the lab report.

cupid.callin said:
No you cannot use v=d/t because that eqn is valid only when acceleration is 0
Do you know any equation for distance when there is some acceleration ?

well I know this vt = √(m.g/k) but this is for find Terminal Velocity

Hint: Look at the shape of the graph you plot.

BruceW said:
well, total distance/total time = average velocity. Now you have to think: does the average velocity of the balloon approximately equal the terminal velocity of the balloon? And you'll need to justify your answer in the lab report.

Thanks, but can I do a graph ?? because I read on my notes that If a draw graph of the falling velocity of the balloon and see how it flattens as the acceleration gets close to zero this is the terminal velocity ... is why I was thinking of doing velocity = distance / time , but my first time don't starts on 0s ..

LawrenceC said:
Hint: Look at the shape of the graph you plot.

The first graph Height vs Time?

luigihs said:
The first graph Height vs Time?

A graph of heights versus times necessitates numerous drops from different heights with respective timings. By its shape, what would such a graph demonstrate?

Yes, the first graph you should draw is height vs time taken to reach ground because these are the direct measurements you took.

LawrenceC said:
A graph of heights versus times necessitates numerous drops from different heights with respective timings. By its shape, what would such a graph demonstrate?

Yeah I doa lot of drops, and the graph is a straight line I got the gradient but I don't think that is necessary.

BruceW said:
Yes, the first graph you should draw is height vs time taken to reach ground because these are the direct measurements you took.

I already done with that graph, now I have to draw a graph about balloon vs velocity.

If you purely use the results you've taken, then you can only get the average velocity for each drop (not instantaneous velocity).

BruceW said:
If you purely use the results you've taken, then you can only get the average velocity for each drop (not instantaneous velocity).

OK so can I use Distance / Time= average velocity or do I have to use total Distance / Total time ?

for each drop, you've recorded height and time. These are total distance and total time for each drop. So height/time will give you average velocity for a particular drop.

BruceW said:
for each drop, you've recorded height and time. These are total distance and total time for each drop. So height/time will give you average velocity for a particular drop.
Sorry for bothering BruceW but for example for 0.2m it took 0.41 seconds to hit the ground..
So height/time 0.2 / 0.41
Average velocity= 0.4878 for 0.2 m

exactly. That is the average velocity for that drop.

BruceW said:
exactly. That is the average velocity for that drop.
Thanks! So now with the average velocity for each drop I can graph the velocity vs balloon. But the terminal velocity is the last drop measurement? In this case is 2 m am I right? Because in my notes I saw a graph of velocity vs an object and the last measurement is the terminal velocity in that graph..

generally, no. The average velocity is the average velocity over the entire drop. So it would only be equal to the terminal velocity if the balloon was traveling at terminal velocity the entire time.

The 2m drop would give an average velocity which is closer to the terminal velocity than the other drops. Can you think why this is?

BruceW said:
generally, no. The average velocity is the average velocity over the entire drop. So it would only be equal to the terminal velocity if the balloon was traveling at terminal velocity the entire time.

The 2m drop would give an average velocity which is closer to the terminal velocity than the other drops. Can you think why this is?

because acceleration goes close to zero :/ I don't know :/

think about the motion of the balloon being in two parts: before it reaches terminal velocity and when it is moving at terminal velocity. Both these parts contribute to the average velocity. So what happens if the time spent in the second part is increased?

Related to Finding Terminal Velocity of a Balloon in Free Fall

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air, due to the balance of gravitational force and air resistance.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity is calculated using the equation v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. Why is it important to find the terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall?

Finding the terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall allows us to better understand the behavior of objects in motion and the effects of air resistance. It also has practical applications in fields such as aviation and engineering.

4. What factors affect the terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall?

The factors that affect the terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall include its mass, the density of the air, the size and shape of the balloon, and the presence of any external forces such as wind.

5. How can the terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall be measured?

The terminal velocity of a balloon in free fall can be measured by conducting experiments where the balloon is dropped from a known height and its velocity is recorded at different points during the fall. The average velocity at the end of the fall can then be calculated to determine the terminal velocity.