Finding the Amplitude of a spring (Simple Harmonic Motion)

In summary, After some discussion and calculations, the experts were able to determine that the amplitude of the resulting simple harmonic motion for a massless spring with a spring constant of 19 N/m and a mass of 0.20 kg attached to its free end would be approximately 0.2063158 m. The experts used conservation of energy to find this value, taking into account the kinetic, gravitational potential, and spring potential energies at both the initial and final points of the motion.
Maxx573
[SOLVED] Finding the Amplitude of a spring (Simple Harmonic Motion)

First post here at PF, so forgive me if I make a faux pas. I'm trying to study for an upcoming Physics test and I'm having a bit of trouble with this.

Homework Statement

A massless spring with spring constant 19 N/m hangs vertically. A body of mass 0.20 kg is attached to its free end and then released. Assume that the spring was un-stretched before the body was released. Find

a. How far below the initial position the body descends, and the
b. Frequency of the resulting SHM.
c. Amplitude of the resulting SHM.

Homework Equations

[tex]a = -\omega^2x = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -\frac{kx}{m}[/tex]

[tex]x = A\cos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

[tex]f = \frac{1}{T} = \frac{\omega}{2\pi}[/tex]

[tex]F = -kx[/tex]

[tex]F = ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found (b), the frequency, since
[tex]f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{k/m}}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{(19 N/m)/(0.2 kg)}}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{95/s^2}}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{95}}{2\pi s} \approx 1.551250 Hz[/tex]
However, I am having a hard time finding how far it will initially fall before coming back up. Once I have that, I could find the amplitude (or vice versa), I think. I know it will have to do with gravity, but I'm not sure how to set up this part of the problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Maxx573,

Maxx573 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found (b), the frequency, since
[tex]f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{k/m}}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{(19 N/m)/(0.2 kg)}}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{95/s^2}}{2\pi} = \frac{\sqrt{95}}{2\pi s} \approx 1.551250 Hz[/tex]
However, I am having a hard time finding how far it will initially fall before coming back up. Once I have that, I could find the amplitude (or vice versa), I think. I know it will have to do with gravity, but I'm not sure how to set up this part of the problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Try using conservation of energy to find how far it descends. What do you get?

Looking at the conservation of energy:

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} kA^2\sin^2(\omega_0 t+\phi) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]U = \frac{1}{2} kA^2\cos^2(\omega_0 t+\phi) = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}kA^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

OK, obviously something here should help me, but I just keep running into the same things. When [tex]U = E[/tex], then [tex]x = A[/tex] and [tex]v = 0[/tex]. When [tex]K = E[/tex], then [tex]a = 0[/tex] and [tex]t = 0[/tex]. Acceleration is at its maximum when all the energy is potential energy (and velocity is 0), and velocity is at its maximum when the spring is at equilibrium (and acceleration is 0).

All of this makes perfect sense to me, but I haven't been able to apply it to solving for [tex]A[/tex] or [tex]x[/tex] without already knowing one of them. I feel like the answer is staring me in the face, but I just can't find it.

Maxx573 said:
Looking at the conservation of energy:

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} kA^2\sin^2(\omega_0 t+\phi) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]U = \frac{1}{2} kA^2\cos^2(\omega_0 t+\phi) = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}kA^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

OK, obviously something here should help me, but I just keep running into the same things. When [tex]U = E[/tex], then [tex]x = A[/tex] and [tex]v = 0[/tex]. When [tex]K = E[/tex], then [tex]a = 0[/tex] and [tex]t = 0[/tex]. Acceleration is at its maximum when all the energy is potential energy (and velocity is 0), and velocity is at its maximum when the spring is at equilibrium (and acceleration is 0).

All of this makes perfect sense to me, but I haven't been able to apply it to solving for [tex]A[/tex] or [tex]x[/tex] without already knowing one of them. I feel like the answer is staring me in the face, but I just can't find it.

In setting up this problem I would say there are three types of energies to keep track of: kinetic, gravitational potential, and spring potential. The two points you are interested in are the initial position, and the lowest point in the motion.

What is the kinetic, gravitational potential, and spring potential energies at the intial point? at the final point? Setting the total energy at the initial point equal to the total energy at the final point should give you the answer.

alphysicist said:
In setting up this problem I would say there are three types of energies to keep track of: kinetic, gravitational potential, and spring potential. The two points you are interested in are the initial position, and the lowest point in the motion.

What is the kinetic, gravitational potential, and spring potential energies at the intial point? at the final point? Setting the total energy at the initial point equal to the total energy at the final point should give you the answer.

Ah, I think I've got it now.

So for the system's initial energy:
[tex]K = 0[/tex] (everything is at rest)
[tex]U_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}(19 N/m)(0)^2 = 0[/tex] (the initial position is 0)
[tex]U_{gravitational} = (0.2 kg)(9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})(x)[/tex]
(for this problem, I will refer to the lowest point as h=0, so initially h=x)

And the system's energy at the bottom of the bottom of the oscillation:
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}m(0)^2 = 0[/tex] (velocity is 0)
[tex]U_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}(19 N/m)x^2[/tex]
[tex]U_{gravitational} = (0.2 kg)(9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})(0) = 0[/tex] (height is now 0)

[tex]E_0 = E_1[/tex]
[tex](0.2 kg)(9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})x = \frac{1}{2}(19 N/m)x^2[/tex]
[tex]1.96 N x = 9.5 (N/m) x^2[/tex]
[tex]1.96 N = 9.5 (N/m) x[/tex]
[tex]1.96m = 9.5x[/tex]

[tex]x \approx 0.2063158 m[/tex]

And since the mass starts from the point where the spring is neither compressed nor stretched, [tex]x = A[/tex]

That right?

Maxx573 said:
Ah, I think I've got it now.

So for the system's initial energy:
[tex]K = 0[/tex] (everything is at rest)
[tex]U_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}(19 N/m)(0)^2 = 0[/tex] (the initial position is 0)
[tex]U_{gravitational} = (0.2 kg)(9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})(x)[/tex]
(for this problem, I will refer to the lowest point as h=0, so initially h=x)

And the system's energy at the bottom of the bottom of the oscillation:
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}m(0)^2 = 0[/tex] (velocity is 0)
[tex]U_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}(19 N/m)x^2[/tex]
[tex]U_{gravitational} = (0.2 kg)(9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})(0) = 0[/tex] (height is now 0)

[tex]E_0 = E_1[/tex]
[tex](0.2 kg)(9.8 \frac{m}{s^2})x = \frac{1}{2}(19 N/m)x^2[/tex]
[tex]1.96 N x = 9.5 (N/m) x^2[/tex]
[tex]1.96 N = 9.5 (N/m) x[/tex]
[tex]1.96m = 9.5x[/tex]

[tex]x \approx 0.2063158 m[/tex]

That looks right to me.

And since the mass starts from the point where the spring is neither compressed nor stretched, [tex]x = A[/tex]

This isn't quite right. Remember that x=0.206m is the distance from the highest to the lowest point of the oscillation. But where is the amplitude measured from?

alphysicist said:
This isn't quite right. Remember that x=0.206m is the distance from the highest to the lowest point of the oscillation. But where is the amplitude measured from?

Oh right. Amplitude is measured from the center of the oscillation to the highest (or lowest) point. So [tex]A = \frac{x}{2} \approx 0.103m[/tex]

Thanks a ton :)

Glad to help!

Related to Finding the Amplitude of a spring (Simple Harmonic Motion)

1. What is the amplitude of a spring?

The amplitude of a spring is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point when the spring is in simple harmonic motion. It is a measure of the spring's maximum potential energy.

2. How do you find the amplitude of a spring?

The amplitude of a spring can be found by measuring the distance between the equilibrium point and the maximum displacement of the spring. This can be done using a ruler or a measuring tape.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of a spring?

The amplitude of a spring is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the force applied to the spring, and the stiffness of the spring itself. These factors determine how far the spring can stretch or compress.

4. Can the amplitude of a spring change?

Yes, the amplitude of a spring can change if any of the factors that affect it are altered. For example, increasing the mass attached to the spring will decrease the amplitude, while increasing the force applied to the spring will increase the amplitude.

5. Why is it important to calculate the amplitude of a spring in simple harmonic motion?

Calculating the amplitude of a spring in simple harmonic motion is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the spring and how it will respond to different forces and masses. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in oscillating systems and mechanical devices.