Finding the angle between a wall and a broken rope

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to find a solution using h, resulting in a trapezium shape and a lack of additional information. The speaker discovers a simple equation involving sinα, but struggles to understand how it applies. They mention using trigonometric functions in a right triangle, but are confused about working out α. The conversation concludes with mentioning creating a straight line and using trigonometry with it as the hypothenuse.
bolzano95
Homework Statement
The following problem is to find an angle α
Relevant Equations
α=?
I tried to work out the solution using h. I get a trapezium, but there is always a lack of additional information. I looked up the solution and BAM, there is this simple equation for sinα.
I really don't understand how do we get such a solution. I leaned you can use trigonometric functions in a right triangle, but here I really don't get it how to work out α.
sind:b.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a straight line continuing the right rope to the left until it hits the wall. This continuation has the same length as the left part of the rope. This line and the right part of the rope together therefore has the same length as the entire rope. Use trigonometry with this as the hypothenuse.

• Informative
Likes bolzano95

Related to Finding the angle between a wall and a broken rope

1. What is the purpose of finding the angle between a wall and a broken rope?

The purpose of finding the angle between a wall and a broken rope is to determine the direction and strength of the force applied on the rope. This information can be used to assess the stability and potential hazards of the structure or object connected to the rope.

2. How is the angle between a wall and a broken rope measured?

The angle between a wall and a broken rope can be measured using a protractor or a measuring device with angle measurement capabilities. The rope should be pulled taut and the angle should be measured at the point where the rope connects to the wall.

3. Can the angle between a wall and a broken rope change over time?

Yes, the angle between a wall and a broken rope can change over time due to various factors such as wind, movement of the structure or object, and deterioration of the rope. It is important to regularly monitor and re-measure the angle to ensure safety.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the angle measurement?

The accuracy of the angle measurement may be affected by factors such as the type and quality of the measuring device, the tension of the rope, and human error. It is important to use a reliable measuring device and to follow proper measurement techniques.

5. How can the angle between a wall and a broken rope be used in structural analysis?

The angle between a wall and a broken rope can provide valuable information for structural analysis, such as determining the load and stress on the rope and the wall. This data can be used to assess the overall stability of the structure and identify potential issues that need to be addressed.