Finding the Angle of Resultant Force in a Plane

In summary, RStars has figured out the components of all the forces other than at point E and how to calculate the angle between E and the x axis. However, he is unsure of how to calculate the direction of the resultant force.
RStars

Homework Statement

I am having quite an issue solving this resultant force question:

The following forces act on a point in the same plane: 40N direction due north; 10N direction due east, 40N direction 50° south of west, 20N direction northwest and 15N direction 20° south of east. Calculate the value and direction of the resultant force.

I have drawn up the question to look like this:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5219/forcesresultant.jpg

I have figured out the components of all forces other than at point E. How would I go about calculating the angle between E and the x axis?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have:
A = 40j
B=10i
C= 15 cos 20i-15sin20j
D=-40cos50i-40sin50j
E=-20cos(x)i+20sin(x)j

How would I go about calculating the angle? I am thinking it might be 90-50=40° but not 100% sure.Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi RStars! It's halfway turn through a right angle, so is 45 degrees. :smile:

Hey, how do you infer that from the question? Is Northwest always dead on in the middle?

Yes. Northwest is at 45deg to the North or, which is the same thing, 45 to the west.

Ok thanks a lot that's exactly what I was after.

RStars said:
Ok thanks a lot that's exactly what I was after.
Better prepare yourself for the day you strike a question involving directions such as North North West, or maybe West North West. They can be abbreviated NNW and WNW. What angle do you reckon each of these would involve, RStars?

I am not too sure, would NNW be 22.5 degrees north from NW? and WNW be 22.5 degrees west of NW? Also I have another question about the OP. So far my working out is:

A=40j
B=10i
C=15cos(20)i-15sin(20)j
D=-40cos(50)i-40sin(50)j
E=-20cos(45)i+20sin(45)j

i=10+15cos(20)-40cos(50)-20cos(45) = -15.758
j=40-15sin(20)-40sin(50)+20sin(45) = -9.914

Resultant = 18.617

angle of resultant = tan(angle)=j/i
angle = 32.1756 degree
Not sure if I did that bit right?

Also need to figure out the direction of the resultant. Since both i and j are negative I am guessing it is in the 3rd quadrant. So would It make sense to say the resultant is 32.18 degrees south of west? Or is there an error somewhere in my method? Thanks for all the help so far.

RStars said:
I am not too sure, would NNW be 22.5 degrees north from NW? and WNW be 22.5 degrees west of NW?

i=10+15cos(20)-40cos(50)-20cos(45) = -15.758
j=40-15sin(20)-40sin(50)+20sin(45) = -9.914

Resultant = 18.617
You could say magnitude of resultant = ...
or, |resultant| = ...
angle of resultant = tan(angle)=j/i Careful! You mustn't equate things which are not equal
angle = 32.1756 degree
Not sure if I did that bit right?

Also need to figure out the direction of the resultant. Since both i and j are negative I am guessing it is in the 3rd quadrant. So would It make sense to say the resultant is 32.18 degrees south of west? Or is there an error somewhere in my method?
Your method looks right, without checking your calculator work. A sketch to remind yourself what you are looking at is invaluable, though I think you probably are using one.

Looking back on my calculations I have found out that I have made an error in the j calculation. It should be 18.37. However when this is changed I end up with tan(angle)=18.37/-15.76

This gives me an angle of -49.37 (Is this correct? )

Also since it is now x-axis negative and y positive it would be in the second quadrant. -49.37 degrees north or west?

Not to sure what to make of this to be honest, any help would be appreciated.

RStars said:
Looking back on my calculations I have found out that I have made an error in the j calculation. It should be 18.37. However when this is changed I end up with tan(angle)=18.37/-15.76

This gives me an angle of -49.37 (Is this correct? )
It is if your component calculations are right.
Also since it is now x-axis negative and y positive it would be in the second quadrant. -49.37 degrees north or west?
Look at the i and j components. They will indicate whether it is more towards the north, or more towards the west.

But if you had the components as algebraic expressions and not numbers, you wouldn't be able to assess by eye their relative sizes to judge whether the angle was more north of NW, or more west of NW. So you'd draw your angle in the 4th quadrant (the answer your calculator gives you here), then draw an angle in the 2nd quadrant making an identical angle with the x-axis (but in its negative direction) as does the one in the 4th quadrant.

Related to Finding the Angle of Resultant Force in a Plane

1. What is the angle of resultant force in a plane?

The angle of resultant force in a plane refers to the direction at which the resultant force acts on an object in a two-dimensional plane. It is measured in degrees, with 0 degrees indicating a force acting in the positive x-direction and 90 degrees indicating a force acting in the positive y-direction.

2. How is the angle of resultant force calculated?

The angle of resultant force can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can be found by taking the inverse of these functions using the values of the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant force.

3. What is the importance of finding the angle of resultant force in a plane?

Knowing the angle of resultant force is important in determining the direction and magnitude of the force acting on an object. It can also be used to calculate the work done by the force and the acceleration of the object.

4. Can the angle of resultant force be negative?

Yes, the angle of resultant force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in a direction opposite to the positive x-axis. However, when using trigonometric functions to calculate the angle, the inverse function will result in a positive angle between 0 and 180 degrees.

5. How does the angle of resultant force affect the motion of an object?

The angle of resultant force affects the direction and speed of an object's motion. If the force is acting at a smaller angle, the object will experience a greater acceleration and move in a more linear path. On the other hand, if the angle is larger, the object will experience a smaller acceleration and move in a more curved path.