Finding the Arctangent of an Unknown Number

• Thread starter xXOfNiRXx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arctangent
In summary, to find the arctangent of an unfamiliar number, such as arctan(-2), you can use the equation tan(x) = -2 and visualize the plot of tan to help you find the angle. It is not necessary to use double or half-angle formulas for this problem. However, using a calculator may be necessary for some cases.
xXOfNiRXx
How do you go about finding the arctangent of an unfamiliar number. Example, arctan (-2)? I think it's in the direction of half-angles and double angels, but how do I get the angle to start with the formulas in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x = arctan(-2), then tan(x) = -2. I don't think double or half-angle will help you for this problem. Sometimes you can figure out what x is, sometimes you can't without a calculator.

xXOfNiRXx said:
How do you go about finding the arctangent of an unfamiliar number. Example, arctan (-2)? I think it's in the direction of half-angles and double angels, but how do I get the angle to start with the formulas in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

I like to visualize the plots of sin, cos, and tan, to help me with problems like this. Draw the tan function, including the asymptotes and the repeating pattern. The arctan is just that plot turned on its side, but without the repeating patterns (because that would give you multiple values for arctan).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctan

Related to Finding the Arctangent of an Unknown Number

1. What is arctangent?

Arctangent is a mathematical function that calculates the angle whose tangent is a given number. It is also known as inverse tangent and is denoted by tan-1.

2. How do you find the arctangent of an unknown number?

To find the arctangent of an unknown number, you can use a scientific calculator or a table of values. Alternatively, you can use the formula arctan(x) = tan-1(x) = y, where x is the unknown number and y is the arctangent value.

3. What is the range of arctangent values?

The range of arctangent values is between -π/2 to π/2 radians or -90° to 90°. This means that the output of the arctangent function will always be within this range.

4. Can the arctangent value be negative?

Yes, the arctangent value can be negative. In fact, it is negative for any input that is in the third or fourth quadrant of the unit circle, which corresponds to angles between 180° and 360° or -180° and 0°.

5. What is the relationship between arctangent and tangent?

The arctangent function is the inverse of the tangent function. This means that if you know the arctangent value, you can find the angle whose tangent is the given number. Similarly, if you know the angle, you can find the tangent value using the tangent function.