Finding the Area of a Hyperbolic Paraboloid

In summary, the person is trying to find the area of the hyperbolic paraboloid z=xy within the cylinder x^2+y^2=1. They are having difficulty finding the correct limits for the double integral and only have the upper limit for y as sqrt(1-x^2). The problem is symmetric by pi/2, so they only need to consider the (+,+) quadrant and the lower limit for y is 0. The area in the entire domain is four times the area in a single quadrant. They are unsure of the correct notation for the integral and it should include a function to be integrated. To find the surface area of z=f(x,y), the integral is given by \int\int \
Juggler123
I need to find the area of the hyperbolic paraboloid z=xy contained within the cylinder x^2+y^2=1. I know I need to take a double integral but am having real difficulty finding the correct limits, so far I've got that;

[tex]\int dx[/tex][tex]\int dy[/tex]

With the x limits being 1 and -1 and the upper y limit to be sqrt(1-x^2) I'm having trouble finding the lower y limit. Although to be honest I'm not completely sure about the other three limits! Sorry about my awful attempt at Latex-ing I don't know how to do it so couldn't write the limits of the integrals on the integral. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the problem is symmetric by pi/2 so I'd just stick to the (+,+) quadrant and your lower limit is y=0. Then your x limits would be 1 and 0.

The area in the entire domain is then four times the area in a single quadrant.

I have no idea what you mean by
Juggler123 said:
so far I've got that;

[tex]\int dx[/tex][tex]\int dy[/tex]
Shouldn't there be some function to be integrated in that? And it probably is NOT
[tex]\int dx\int dy[/tex]
but rather
[tex]\int f(x,y) dxdy[/tex]
Even ignoring the "f(x,y)" the two separate integrals implies that the two coordinates can be separated- which is not the case here- at least not in Cartesian coordinates.

The surface area of z= f(x,y) is given by
[tex]\int\int \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)^2} dA[/tex]
where dA is the differential of area in whatever coordinate system you are using, in the xy-plane. Because of the circular symmetry I would recommend changing to polar coordinates- where the two coordinate variables can be separated.

Related to Finding the Area of a Hyperbolic Paraboloid

What is a hyperbolic paraboloid?

A hyperbolic paraboloid is a three-dimensional surface that is shaped like a saddle. It is formed by two parabolic curves that intersect in a perpendicular manner.

How do you find the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid?

The formula for finding the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid is A = 4ab, where a and b are the semi-axes of the paraboloid. This formula is also known as the Gaussian curvature formula.

What is the significance of finding the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid?

Finding the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid is important in many fields, such as architecture, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for the calculation of surface area and volume in various structures and objects.

Can the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid be negative?

No, the area of a hyperbolic paraboloid cannot be negative. This is because the area represents a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value.

Are there any real-world applications of hyperbolic paraboloids?

Yes, hyperbolic paraboloids can be found in many man-made structures, such as roofs, bridges, and shells. They can also be seen in natural formations, such as sand dunes, waves, and certain types of mountains.