Finding the Bioavailability of a Drug using Definite Integration

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the bioavailability of a drug by using the concentration equation and integrating it from t = 0 to t = 3. The process involves using integration by parts and evaluating the definite integral. The final answer is found to be 123.4862 - 13.720 + 25.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

The concentration, C, in ng/ml of a drug in the blood as a function of time in hours since the drug was administered is given by

[itex]C = 15te^{-0.2t}[/itex]

The area under the curve is the bioavailability, find it from t = 0 to t = 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to find the definite integral of

[itex]C = 15te^{-0.2t}[/itex]

From t = 0 to t = 3.

[itex]\int^{3}_{0}15te^{-0.2t}dt[/itex]

[itex]u = 15t[/itex]
[itex]du = 15 dt[/itex]
[itex]v = \frac{-e^{-0.2t}}{0.2}[/itex]
[itex]dv = e^{-0.2t}dt[/itex]

Now, I see this as a perfectly good setup for integration by parts. Now, to set up definite integral formula.

[itex]\frac{-15te^{-0.2t}}{0.2}^{3}_{0}[/itex] - [itex]\int^{3}_{0} \frac{-15e^{-0.2t}}{0.2}dt[/itex]

[itex]123.4862 - 13.720 + 25[/itex]

Which I know is wrong because I just graphed the integral with my calculator. So, where am I being stupid?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was taught that I could evaluate definite integrals by solving uv for the upper limit, then subtracting uv evaluated at lower limit (as if it were an integral using 1st fundamental theorem), and then subtract the integral of vdu (also using fundamental theorem).

Do the indefinite integral first

Worked it again and got it right. Need some practice.

Related to Finding the Bioavailability of a Drug using Definite Integration

1. What is the Integral approach?

The Integral approach is a holistic and comprehensive framework for understanding and approaching complex issues, such as personal growth, organizational development, and societal challenges. It integrates various perspectives and disciplines, including psychology, philosophy, spirituality, and science, to provide a more comprehensive understanding and approach to problem-solving.

2. How can the Integral approach be applied in everyday life?

The Integral approach can be applied in various contexts, such as personal development, relationships, and work. It can help individuals gain a deeper understanding of themselves and others, as well as provide tools and methods for personal growth and transformation.

3. What are the key principles of the Integral approach?

The key principles of the Integral approach include the recognition of multiple perspectives, the understanding of developmental stages, the importance of context and systems thinking, and the integration of different areas of knowledge and experience.

4. How is the Integral approach different from other approaches?

The Integral approach differs from other approaches by its comprehensive and inclusive nature. It recognizes and integrates multiple perspectives, rather than favoring one over the others. It also emphasizes the importance of context and systems thinking, rather than focusing solely on individual elements or levels of analysis.

5. Can anyone use the Integral approach?

Yes, anyone can use the Integral approach. It is not limited to a specific profession or field of study. It can be applied by individuals, organizations, and societies as a whole to gain a deeper understanding of complex issues and find more effective ways of addressing them.