Finding the charge on a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a circuit involving switches, resistors, and capacitors. The initial conditions are given, and the goal is to find the initial charge on capacitor 2. The initial charge on capacitor 2 is found by using the current divider and mesh current analysis methods. However, the calculation is incorrect due to a misunderstanding of the initial conditions. The correct approach is to consider C2 as uncharged when switch 1 is open, and only consider its charge when switch 2 is closed. This affects the calculations and leads to a different result.
diredragon

Homework Statement

IMG_2502.JPG
[/B]
##E_1=6V##
##E_3=5V##
##R_1=150Ω##
##R_2=R_3=100Ω##
##R_4=50Ω##
##R_5=300Ω##
##C_1=1.5 mF##
##C_2=0.5mF##
Text:
In the first condition when the switches 1 and 2 are open the capacitor 2 has charge on it. First the switch 1 closes and the charge flow of ##q_1=1 mC## is established to flow through the branch as shown in the picture. Then the switch 2 closes and the flow is now ##q_2=-1.4mC##. Find the initial charge on capacitor 2 (##Q_{20}##).

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
My only problem here is with the charge division. Correct me if I'm wrong here:
When the switch 1 closes the voltage across 1 and two must be the same so we have:
##q_{11}+q_{12}=q_1##
##\frac{q_{11}}{C_1}=\frac{Q_{20}+q_{12}}{C_2}##
I can't find the voltage they're equal to because i don't have ##E_2## but i do have the change when the switch 2 closes. So:
##\frac{q_{11}+q_{21}}{C_1}=\frac{Q_{20}+q_{12}+q_{22}}{C_2}##
The change is then just:
##ΔU_{c1}=\frac{q_{21}}{C_1}##
##ΔU_{c2}=\frac{q_{22}}{C_2}##
And ##q_{12}+q_{21}=q_2## and from there i can find the ##q_{12}## and ##q_{22}## and have the change in the voltage while my Δ-circuit looks like this:
IMG_2503.JPG

Where finding the current is trivial. Is this the right track?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I continued along this road and i got a wrong answer. I will now post my full work so you can see where I'm wrong.
Strarting from the delta circuit where I am trying to find the current ##ΔI_g## i have this:
1) ##ΔU=\frac{q21}{C1}=\frac{q22}{C2}##
2) ##q21+q22=q2=-1.4##
##q21=\frac{C1}{C2}q22##
and from this i get ##q21=-0.35##,##q22=-1.05##
so ##ΔU=-0.7 V## and i can continue finding the current ##ΔI_g##
Using the current divider i see that:
##ΔU=ΔI_gR4+R2ΔI_d=ΔI_gR4+R2\frac{R3}{R2+R3+R5}ΔI_g##
and from here ##ΔI_g=-0.01A##
Now goind back to the original circuit, where i have the current through the branch when the switch closes i have enough information to find ##E_2## which later i can use to find the voltages across the capacitors. From mesh current analysis get that the loops that make ##ΔIg## are some ##IB and IA##
So by arbitrary choice:
##ΔI_g=I_b-I_a## and by means of mesh i get ##I_b## because i only need that one. I could go the other way but i need E2 then.
Here is the picture of the work:
IMG_2506.JPG

I get ##Q=2mC## while the answer is ##Q=-0.1mC##
Where and what is wrong?

I'm not sure why E2 is not given.

Nonetheless, with Switch 1 open, C2 is just dangling. There is no voltage across it so it cannot have a charge on it. On the other hand, C1 will have a charge on it.

This changes most of what you did initially and will affect everything beyond that point.

magoo said:
I'm not sure why E2 is not given.

Nonetheless, with Switch 1 open, C2 is just dangling. There is no voltage across it so it cannot have a charge on it. On the other hand, C1 will have a charge on it.

This changes most of what you did initially and will affect everything beyond that point.
It shouldn't change anything initially since the change is considered when the switch 2 closes so ##ΔU## remains as it is regardless of the initial charge of Q1 and it makes appearance only at the end, but i supposed that it is uncharged since its stated that C2 has charge on it.

OK, I see the point about having a trapped charge on C2. Sorry about that.

Related to Finding the charge on a capacitor

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How is the charge on a capacitor determined?

The charge on a capacitor is determined by the capacitance (C) of the capacitor and the voltage (V) applied across it. The equation for charge on a capacitor is Q=CxV.

3. What factors affect the charge on a capacitor?

The charge on a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and the type of dielectric material used. The distance between the plates and the surface area of the plates also play a role in determining the charge on a capacitor.

4. How is the charge on a capacitor measured?

The charge on a capacitor can be measured using a multimeter or other electrical measuring devices. The capacitor is first discharged and then connected to the measuring device to determine the charge.

5. Can the charge on a capacitor be changed?

Yes, the charge on a capacitor can be changed by altering the voltage or capacitance of the capacitor. By increasing the voltage, the charge on the capacitor will also increase. Similarly, by increasing the capacitance, the charge on the capacitor will also increase.