Finding the Circumference of a Circle Using Improper Integrals

In summary, Mac is struggling with a question on finding the circumference of a circle using calculus. He has looked at it from the approach of integrating the circle equation in the arc length formula, but is unsure if that is the correct approach. He is also unsure if the question is looking for a proof or an integral with infinity in its limit. Sudharaka provides a detailed explanation of the process, including the use of improper integrals, and arrives at the answer of 2πa for the circumference of the circle. Mac thanks Sudharaka and expresses his intention to review the explanation in order to fully understand the concept.
MacLaddy1
Hello again,

I'm finding myself stuck on what is probably a simple question, but I believe I am taking the wrong approach.
The section is "Volumes with infinite integrals," and the chapter is "Improper Integrals."
The question, "Use calculus to find the circumference of a circle with radius a."
I've looked at this from the approach of integrating the circle equation in the arc length formula, but I don't think it's looking for a proof like that. Somehow this question should have an integral with infinity in it's limit.

A shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, everyone.

Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:
Hello again,

I'm finding myself stuck on what is probably a simple question, but I believe I am taking the wrong approach.
The section is "Volumes with infinite integrals," and the chapter is "Improper Integrals."
The question, "Use calculus to find the circumference of a circle with radius a."
I've looked at this from the approach of integrating the circle equation in the arc length formula, but I don't think it's looking for a proof like that. Somehow this question should have an integral with infinity in it's limit.

A shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, everyone.

Mac

Hi MacLaddy, :)

Improper integrals may not contain a "infinity" in their limits. They are defined in terms of the boundedness of the domain of integration and the integrand.

The Cartesian equation of a circle of radius \(a\) with its center at \((0,0)\) is given by,

\[x^2+y^2=a^2\]

\[\Rightarrow y=\pm\sqrt{a^2-x^2}\mbox{ where }-a\leq x\leq a\]

In the first quadrant,

\[\Rightarrow y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2}\mbox{ where }0\leq x\leq a\]

\[\Rightarrow y'=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-x}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\]

The arc length of a curve defined on \((c,d)\) is given by,

\[s = \int_{c}^{d} \sqrt { 1 + [f'(x)]^2 }\, dx\]

In this case, \(c=0\mbox{ and }d=a\). But on the interval \([0,a]\)the integrand becomes unbounded. Therefore, we get the following improper integral if the limit exists.

\[s = \int_{0}^{a} \sqrt { 1 + \left[\frac{-x}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\right]^2 }\, dx:=\lim_{k\rightarrow a}\int_{0}^{k} \sqrt { 1 + \left[\frac{-x}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\right]^2 }\]

\[\Rightarrow L = \lim_{k\rightarrow a}\int_{0}^{k} \sqrt {\frac{a^2}{a^2-x^2}}\, dx\]

\[\Rightarrow L =\left[a\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)\right]_{0}^{k\rightarrow a}\]

\[\Rightarrow L =\frac{\pi a}{2}\]

Since the curve is symmetric around the x and y axes we have to multiply this by 4 in order to get the circumference\((C)\) of the curve.

\[\therefore C=2\pi a\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Wow... Thanks Sudharaka, that's quite the reply. I appreciate that.

It looks like I was "somewhat" on the right track before, but I am definitely misunderstanding some of the inner workings in this process. I'll stare at this for a few days and make sure it sinks in fully.

Thanks again,
Mac

Related to Finding the Circumference of a Circle Using Improper Integrals

What is the formula for calculating the circumference of a circle?

The formula for calculating the circumference of a circle is C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle.

How is the circumference of a circle related to its diameter?

The circumference of a circle is directly proportional to its diameter, meaning that as the diameter increases, the circumference also increases. The ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle is always equal to π or approximately 3.14.

Can the circumference of a circle be negative?

No, the circumference of a circle cannot be negative. It is a measurement of the distance around the circle and distance cannot be negative.

What units are used to measure the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle is typically measured in units of length such as centimeters, meters, or inches.

How is the circumference of a circle used in real life?

The circumference of a circle is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a wheel, finding the amount of material needed to make a circular object, and determining the size of a circular area for landscaping or construction projects.