Finding the Closest Point on a Surface to the Origin

In summary, the point on the surface z=exp(sin(x+y)) that is closest to the origin (0,0,0) is (0,0,1).
tuablink

Homework Statement

Find the point on the surface
z=exp(sin(x+y)) that is closest to the origin(0,0,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 0, y = 0
z = exp(sin(0)) = exp(0) = 1
The point on the surface z=exp(sin(x+y)) that is closest to the origin (0,0,0) is (0,0,1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi tuablink! Welcome to PF! :smile:
tuablink said:

x = 0, y = 0
The point on the surface z=exp(sin(x+y)) that is closest to the origin (0,0,0) is (0,0,1)

Nooo :redface:

let the distance squared = r2 = x2 + y2 + z2.

Is ∂(r2)/∂x = 0 at (0,0,1) ? :wink:

Why have you started a new thread?? :confused:
tuablink said:
solve('2*x + 2*exp(2*sin(x + y))*cos(x + y)-2*y - 2*exp(2*sin(x + y))*cos(x + y)')

Noooo! :redface:

Two equations … solve('2*x + 2*exp(2*sin(x + y))*cos(x + y) = 2*y + 2*exp(2*sin(x + y))*cos(x + y) = 0') :wink:

Could you give me hints or guide me?
thank you

uhh?

ok …

solve('

2*x + 2*exp(2*sin(x + y))*cos(x + y) =

2*y + 2*exp(2*sin(x + y))*cos(x + y) =

0') :wink:

I tried and it gave me an error "Warning: Explicit solution could not be found"

oh put the computer down and just look at the two equations. :rolleyes:

tuablink said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my result:
x = 0, y = 0
How did you decide x=0, y=0? However you did it, it's not right. What's an expression for the distance from (x,y,z) to the origin?

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Finding the Closest Point on a Surface to the Origin

1. What does "Find the point on the surface" mean?

"Find the point on the surface" refers to locating a specific point on the surface of an object or material. This could involve determining the coordinates of the point or physically marking the point on the surface.

2. Why is it important to find the point on the surface?

Finding the point on the surface is important in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and geology. It allows for precise measurements and calculations, as well as accurate analysis and understanding of the properties and behavior of the surface.

3. How do scientists find the point on the surface?

Scientists use various methods and tools to find the point on the surface, depending on the specific surface and purpose. These may include using measuring devices, such as rulers and calipers, or conducting experiments and simulations to determine the point.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the point on the surface?

The accuracy of finding the point on the surface can be affected by various factors, such as the precision of the measuring tools used, the condition of the surface, and external influences like temperature and pressure. Human error and limitations in technology can also impact the accuracy.

5. Is finding the point on the surface a difficult task?

The difficulty of finding the point on the surface can vary depending on the complexity of the surface and the methods used. In some cases, it may be a straightforward task, while in others, it may require advanced techniques and expertise. However, with careful planning and proper tools, scientists can overcome any challenges and accurately find the point on the surface.