Finding the Coefficient of Static Friction for a Concrete Block and Tongs

In summary, the problem involves lifting a 500-N concrete block with a pair of tongs, and the task is to determine the smallest allowable coefficient of static friction between the block and the tongs at two points. The solution involves setting up equilibrium equations and taking moments about one of the frames, but the answer obtained does not match the actual answer. The error may be due to not clearly identifying the body or not specifying the axis or point for taking moments.
Mugwump101

Homework Statement

A 500-N concrete block is to be lifted by the pair of tongs shown. Determine the smallest allowable value of the coefficient of static friction between the block and the tongs at F and G.

See Diagram: [PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1315/sprob826.jpg

Homework Equations

Fm=[tex]\mu[/tex]sN
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well,

deframing everything
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0, so 500N+Ay+By=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0, Ax+Bx=0

Then I take the moments about A and B in the frame AB and I get Ay = 250 and By =250 . Then I say, Ff=250=[tex]\mu[/tex]Nf. Nf= 250/[tex]\mu[/tex].

Then I take the moment about one of the frames because they're symmetrical. So [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Ma=0,(250)(.180)-(Nf)(.540)=0. Then I get Nf=83.33, so then [tex]\mu[/tex]s= 250/83.33 = 3. But the thing is, that isn't the answer. I have the answer only but I can't seem to arrive at it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't clearly identify the body for which you are making equilibrium statements, and whatever that body is, you need to draw its diagram, and put on it every force that exists. Your phrase "taking moments about one of the frames" is sloppy, and probably led to your error. About which axis (or POINT in two dimensions) are you taking moments?

Related to Finding the Coefficient of Static Friction for a Concrete Block and Tongs

1. What is static friction and how does it differ from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the movement of an object at rest, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the movement of an object in motion. They differ in that static friction prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction acts to slow down a moving object.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined for a given surface?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. It is a constant value for a given pair of surfaces and is influenced by factors such as the materials of the surfaces, surface roughness, and the presence of lubricants.

3. What are the different types of friction and how do they affect objects?

The three types of friction are static, kinetic, and rolling friction. Static friction prevents an object from moving, kinetic friction slows down a moving object, and rolling friction is the resistance to the motion of a rolling object. Friction can affect objects by causing wear and tear, heat generation, and limiting their movement.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the frictional force?

The angle of incline can affect the frictional force by increasing or decreasing it depending on the direction of the force. If the force is acting against the direction of motion, the angle of incline can increase the frictional force. However, if the force is acting in the direction of motion, the angle of incline can decrease the frictional force.

5. How does the weight of an object affect the frictional force?

The weight of an object can affect the frictional force by increasing it. As the weight of an object increases, its normal force also increases, resulting in a higher frictional force. This is because the weight of the object is acting against the force of friction, making it harder for the object to move.