Finding the coefficients of an unknown function using Taylor's Theorem?

In summary, the problem is to find coefficients A, B, and C using Taylor's Theorem for the function f'(x). After expanding Bf(x+h) and Cf(x+2h), the coefficients can be factored out and the left hand side changed to f'(x)*h to make the problem more solvable.
SMA_01

Homework Statement

Find coefficients A, B, and C.
f'(x)= Af(x)+Bf(x+h)+Cf(x+2h)+O(h2)
Using Taylor's Theorem.

Note: O stands for Big O in asymptotic order notation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the expansions:

Bf(x+h)= Bf(x)+Bhf'(x)+(1/2)Bh2f"(x)+(1/6)Bh3f"'(x)...

Cf(x+2h)=Cf(x)+2Chf'(x)+2Ch2f"(x)+(4/3)Ch3f"'(X)...

And then I added them and factored out the coefficients

= (A+B+C)f(x)+(B+2C)hf'(x)+(1/2B+2C)h2f"(x)+...

Is this correct? I'm stuck as to what I am supposed to do next.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:

Homework Statement

Find coefficients A, B, and C.
f'(x)= Af(x)+Bf(x+h)+Cf(x+2h)+O(h2)
Using Taylor's Theorem.

Note: O stands for Big O in asymptotic order notation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the expansions:

Bf(x+h)= Bf(x)+Bhf'(x)+(1/2)Bh2f"(x)+(1/6)Bh3f"'(x)...

Cf(x+2h)=Cf(x)+2Chf'(x)+2Ch2f"(x)+(4/3)Ch3f"'(X)...

And then I added them and factored out the coefficients

= (A+B+C)f(x)+(B+2C)hf'(x)+(1/2B+2C)h2f"(x)+...

Is this correct? I'm stuck as to what I am supposed to do next.

Thanks.

That looks pretty odd. I think there is a typo in the problem. Try changing the left hand side from f'(x) to f'(x)*h. Now it makes a little more sense. Try it from there.

FAQ: Finding the coefficients of an unknown function using Taylor's Theorem?

1. What is Taylor's Theorem?

Taylor's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to approximate an unknown function using a polynomial with a finite number of terms. It is based on the idea that any smooth function can be approximated by a polynomial of the same degree in a small region around a particular point.

2. How do you find the coefficients of an unknown function using Taylor's Theorem?

The coefficients of an unknown function can be found by using the formula:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + ... + f^(n)(a)(x-a)^n/n!
where a is the point around which we are approximating the function and n is the degree of the polynomial used in the approximation.

3. Can Taylor's Theorem be used for any type of function?

No, Taylor's Theorem can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable in the region we are approximating. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at that point.

4. What is the importance of finding the coefficients of an unknown function using Taylor's Theorem?

Finding the coefficients of an unknown function using Taylor's Theorem allows us to approximate the function with a polynomial, which can make it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function. It is also useful for solving differential equations and predicting the behavior of a system.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor's Theorem for finding coefficients?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Taylor's Theorem. First, the approximation may only be accurate within a small region around the chosen point. Second, the calculations involved in finding the coefficients can be complex and time-consuming. Finally, it may not be possible to find an exact representation of the function using a finite number of terms in the polynomial.