Finding the Column Space of Matrix A

In summary, the column space of a matrix is the span of its column vectors and can be found by converting the matrix into its reduced row echelon form and taking the span of its pivot columns. It is important for determining linear independence, rank, and has various applications. The column space can never be empty, but can have a dimension of zero if the columns are linearly dependent. It is related to the row space and is the orthogonal complement of the null space of the matrix.
roam

Homework Statement

We have a matrix A which row-reduces to:

[tex]A = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 1&2&0&0\\ 0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1 \end{array}\right][/tex]

I'm asked to find the column space of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to write down for this question... Here's what I think:

col(A) = {x1(1,0,0)+x2(2,0,0)+x3((0,1,0)+x4(0,0,1), [tex]x \in R^4[/tex]}

Since the 2nd column is simply a multiple of the first maybe it makes it a subspace of R3, I'm not sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost. You look at the pivot rows in the reduced form of the matrix, but take the span of the corresponding rows in the original matrix.

rochfor1 said:
Almost. You look at the pivot rows in the reduced form of the matrix, but take the span of the corresponding rows in the original matrix.

Hi!

Thanks, now if I write that using the corresponding rows in the original matrix, it'll look like:

col(A) = {x1(1,2,1)+x2(2,4,2)+x3((1,1,1)+x4(1,0,2), [tex]x \in R^4[/tex]}

But I know that the 2nd column is a multiple of the first column, how do I need to express it? I'm not sure what to do about this.

That's the beauty of it---when you row reduce the matrix, you see that the second column is in the span of the pivot columns, so it doesn't count towards the column space. Just forget about it. In other words,

col(A)=span{(1,2,1),(1,1,1),(1,0,2)}

roam said:

Homework Statement

We have a matrix A which row-reduces to:

[tex]A = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 1&2&0&0\\ 0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1 \end{array}\right][/tex]

I'm asked to find the column space of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to write down for this question... Here's what I think:

col(A) = {x1(1,0,0)+x2(2,0,0)+x3((0,1,0)+x4(0,0,1), [tex]x \in R^4[/tex]}

Since the 2nd column is simply a multiple of the first maybe it makes it a subspace of R3, I'm not sure...
Yes, since the second column is a multiple of the first, you don't need it!
The column space is just the space spanned by {(1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), (0, 0, 1)} and is precisely R3, not a subspace of it.

Related to Finding the Column Space of Matrix A

1. What is the column space of a matrix?

The column space of a matrix refers to the span of its column vectors. In other words, it is the set of all possible linear combinations of the columns of the matrix. It represents the subspace of the matrix that can be reached by multiplying the matrix with any vector.

2. How do you find the column space of a matrix?

To find the column space of a matrix, we can use row reduction techniques to convert the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. The non-zero rows in the reduced form represent the pivot columns, which are the basis for the column space. The column space is then given by the span of these pivot columns.

3. Why is the column space important?

The column space of a matrix is important because it provides information about the linear independence of its column vectors. It also helps in determining the rank of the matrix, which is a crucial factor in solving systems of linear equations. Additionally, the column space is used in various applications such as data compression and image processing.

4. Can the column space of a matrix be empty?

No, the column space of a matrix can never be empty. This is because the column space is defined as the span of the columns of a matrix, and even a matrix with all zero entries has a column space consisting of the zero vector. However, the column space can have a dimension of zero if all the columns of the matrix are linearly dependent.

5. How does the column space relate to other subspaces of a matrix?

The column space is a subspace of the vector space containing the matrix. It is also related to the row space of the matrix, which is the span of its row vectors. The column space and row space have the same dimension, known as the rank of the matrix. Additionally, the null space of the matrix, which consists of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector when multiplied by the matrix, is the orthogonal complement of the column space.