Finding the Critical Angle: Diamond and Water

In summary, the critical angle diamond (n=2.42) and water (n=1.33) have different indices of refraction and as a result, when light is incident upon them at a certain angle, they will have a different angle of refraction. This angle of refraction is dependent on the incident angle and can be found using Snell's law.
AlanxD

Homework Statement

The critical angle diamond (n=2.42) and water (n=1.33). Find the angle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I dun get how u find the angle with 2 n's. I need a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't there one single expression for the critical angle, dependent only upon the two indices of refraction?

Well the question is 2 sentences. Critical angle of diamond is n=2.42. Water n=1.33. Find the angle of incidence. My textbook says the angle is 33 degrees but i do not knw how it arrived at that answer.

Last edited:
I hope http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/refrn/u14l3c.html" helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya i knw u can find the critical angle but i got the critical angle of diamond and n for water. I want to knw how to solve the angle between diamond and water.

Snell's law still applies to the situation.

The incident angle is in the diamond and the refraction angle is in the water.

At the critical incident angle (in the diamond) the refraction angle (in water) is equal to ninety degrees.

From this info you can set up an equation using Snell's law (at the diamond-water interface) and solve for the critical incident angle - just show try and we will help you to set it up.

I found snails law. NiSinangle of Incidence=Nrsinangle of refraction. What should i do now?

Snell's law is applied at the interface where the refraction takes place. In this case light is refracted from a diamond into water. For total internal refraction to be able take place the light must travel from a more to a less optical dense medium, which is what we have here since the refractive index of diamond is larger than that of air.

In this case the incident refractive index is in diamond so [tex]n_i[/tex] is that of diamond and [tex]n_r[/tex]is that of water. When the incident angle of the light in diamond is equal to the critical incident angle [tex]\theta _c[/tex] we find that the refractive beam of light is at the point of dissappearing - it is traveling along the interface. This means that the angle of refraction (in air) will be ninety degrees when the incident angle is equal to the critical incident angle (if the incident angle is made larger than the critical angle we find the refracted beam dissappears and we have total internal reflection). Fill this information into Snell's equation and see if you can solve for the critical incident angle - if not just show Snell's law with the values plugged in.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Critical Angle: Diamond and Water

What is the critical angle for a given material?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which a light ray will be refracted such that it travels along the boundary between two media. It is dependent on the indices of refraction of the two media and can be calculated using Snell's law.

How does the critical angle affect total internal reflection?

When the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection occurs. This means that all of the light is reflected back into the original medium instead of being refracted into the second medium.

What factors can affect the critical angle?

The critical angle is affected by the indices of refraction of the two media, as well as the wavelength of the light and the surface roughness of the boundary between the two media.

Is the critical angle the same for all wavelengths of light?

No, the critical angle varies with the wavelength of light. This is due to the different indices of refraction for different wavelengths.

How is the critical angle used in practical applications?

The critical angle is used in various optical devices such as fiber optics, prisms, and lenses. It is also important in understanding the phenomenon of total internal reflection, which is used in devices such as optical fibers and binoculars. Additionally, the critical angle can be used to determine the refractive index of a material.