Finding the current in the circuit

In summary: E is gone (replaced by a short) and now Ig is active to produce the 15 mA change in current. Set this up as a new node equation with the voltage V1 as the unknown. But now the current equation will include a -Ig term, since the current is now flowing up through the branch instead of down. Solve for V1 and then determine the current through R3 (which is now flowing down through the branch). The change in current is the difference between the current when the switch is closed (it should be a small current) and the current when the switch is open (15 mA). This is the value for Ig that you need.
diredragon

Homework Statement

In the first stationary condition of the circuit in the picture below the switch ##p## is closed and in the second it is open. The change of charge on the capacitors from 1st to 2nd condition is ##ΔQ=30 mC## Calculate the current ##I_g##
Picture:
IMG_2437.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I will upload the picture of my work here an then explain what i did.
IMG_2438.JPG

I labeled the steps so you can refer to them in your comments. I will also rewrite some of it here:
First i wanted to find the current through the branch with the switch when it is closed and i did that in the following way. I changed the circuit diagram into the Δ circuit as you see in the picture. Then using simple steps i found the current through the branch. But I'm clueless about what do i do now. Why did i need that current in the first place?
Could you give me a clue that is of the form which theorem to use and why. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your ΔQ should have units μC rather than mC (it's a 1000x difference).

This is not a method of analysis that I've used before, but I can see how it works. It's essentially based on the use of the Superposition Theorem.

You have correctly determined that in order to produce the ##ΔU## of 15 V across the capacitor that the change in the middle branch current has to be 15 mA, and that the change is going to flow upwards through the branch (hence -15 mA for the ##ΔI## current source).

So it remains to determine what the branch current was to begin with (while the switch was closed). That you can determine in any number of ways, but you might consider nodal analysis to find the voltage of the top node and then determine the current through R3 using Ohm's Law.

Once you have that current (call it ##I_o##) then you can determine the what the current ##I_g## has to be make the ##ΔI## your -15 mA.

gneill said:
Your ΔQ should have units μC rather than mC (it's a 1000x difference).

This is not a method of analysis that I've used before, but I can see how it works. It's essentially based on the use of the Superposition Theorem.

You have correctly determined that in order to produce the ##ΔU## of 15 V across the capacitor that the change in the middle branch current has to be 15 mA, and that the change is going to flow upwards through the branch (hence -15 mA for the ##ΔI## current source).

So it remains to determine what the branch current was to begin with (while the switch was closed). That you can determine in any number of ways, but you might consider nodal analysis to find the voltage of the top node and then determine the current through R3 using Ohm's Law.

Once you have that current (call it ##I_o##) then you can determine the what the current ##I_g## has to be make the ##ΔI## your -15 mA.
##ΔI## that i have got is the current the flows through the branch with the switch when it is closed right?
I will now try using the nodal analysis taking the bottom nod as grounded one.
Basically then i have:
##V1(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3)=E/R1-I_g##
I have trouble with this. First how do i deal with two unknowns and what do i do know with the information that i have ##ΔI## Do i place it as a current generator in the branch with the switch when I am looking at the closed scenario?

diredragon said:
##ΔI## that i have got is the current the flows through the branch with the switch when it is closed right?
No, you've calculated the change in current (-15 mA) that occurs when the switch opens.
I will now try using the nodal analysis taking the bottom nod as grounded one.
Basically then i have:
##V1(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3)=E/R1-I_g##
I have trouble with this. First how do i deal with two unknowns and what do i do know with the information that i have ##ΔI## Do i place it as a current generator in the branch with the switch when I am looking at the closed scenario?
Apply nodal analysis when the switch is closed so that effectively Ig is suppressed and only the voltage source E will be active. That will yield your "initial" current in the branch. It should be some small current flowing down through the branch.

Then you need to find the value for Ig that will produce your -15 mA change.

gneill said:
No, you've calculated the change in current (-15 mA) that occurs when the switch opens.

Apply nodal analysis when the switch is closed so that effectively Ig is suppressed and only the voltage source E will be active. That will yield your "initial" current in the branch. It should be some small current flowing down through the branch.

Then you need to find the value for Ig that will produce your -15 mA change.
What changes then from here?
##V1(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3)=E/R1-I_g## I still have two nodes right?
I'm not sure how it changes things. I can try the superposition principle to find the current that goes through R3.
I3=I(E)+I(Ig)
When only E works the current i found to be 9/2 and when only Ig works i found the current to be 0 because of the short-circuit. (could you check this?)

When the switch is closed there is no Ig. It vanishes because it's shorted out and the short takes all its current.

You should use the more efficient way to write a node equation, as a sum of currents set equal to zero:

$$\frac{V1 - E}{R1} + \frac{V1}{R3} + \frac{V1}{R2} = 0$$

Solve for V1 and then the current in through R3.

gneill said:
When the switch is closed there is no Ig. It vanishes because it's shorted out and the short takes all its current.

You should use the more efficient way to write a node equation, as a sum of currents set equal to zero:

$$\frac{V1 - E}{R1} + \frac{V1}{R3} + \frac{V1}{R2} = 0$$

Solve for V1 and then the current in through R3.
So basically the node equation is:
##V_1*(\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\frac{1}{R_3})=\frac{E}{R_1}## and once the V1 is found i can solve for initial ##I_0## which is just ##\frac{V_0}{R_3}##.
So i get:
##V_1=3V## and from there
##I_0=3 A## which is the intial current and it flows downwards. This is the flow through the branch with the switch. Now the switch opens. How do i then calculate I_g? First the switch is closed and the flow through the branch is 3A. Then it closes and we have that the change is -15. Which means that the amount of 15A flows in the other direction. 3-15=-12 so the ##I_g=-12## right?

Right. Except that your currents should be in mA, not A.

Last edited:
Likes diredragon
gneill said:
Right. Except that you currents should be in mA, not A.
Got it, thanks gneill, you're the best :D

Cheers!

FAQ: Finding the current in the circuit

What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

How is current calculated?

Current is calculated by dividing the amount of charge (Q) that flows through a circuit by the time (t) it takes for the charge to flow. The formula for current is I = Q/t.

What factors affect the amount of current in a circuit?

The amount of current in a circuit is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Increasing the voltage or decreasing the resistance will result in an increase in current.

How do you measure current in a circuit?

Current is typically measured using an ammeter, which is a device specifically designed to measure the flow of electric current. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, meaning it is placed along the path of the current flow.

Why is it important to find the current in a circuit?

Knowing the current in a circuit is important for understanding how much power is being used and how much heat is being generated. It is also necessary for calculating the voltage and resistance in a circuit, which can help with troubleshooting and designing efficient electrical systems.