Finding the current Io for t>0 in a RL circuit

In summary, the problem involves finding the current io for t>0 in a circuit with a 24V source, 3 ohm resistor, and 4 ohm and 8 ohm resistors in parallel. The solution involves using current division to obtain i(t) and then solving for io using the equations Req=4+8=12 ohms and T(tow)=L/R=4/12=1/2 seconds. The resulting solution is io(t)=1.2e^-3t and io(0)=1.4118 A. The only mistake in the original solution was using a 4 ohm resistor instead of a 3 ohm resistor in the initial circuit. Additionally, for an RC circuit
sugz

Homework Statement

For the circuit in the attached file, find io (current) for t>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have included an attachment which shows the solution. However, I will copy the solution here as well for reference:

When t<0, the switch is closed, the inductor acts as a short circuit to dc. The question I have in this step is what happens to the resistor that is in series with the inductor when the inductor becomes a short circuit?
The resulting circuit is one with the 24V source, 4 ohm resistor and the 4 ohm and 8 ohm resistors in parallel. The 4//8=8/3 ohms.

i1=24/(8/3+4)=3.6 A

We obtain i(t) from t1, using current division, by writing,

i(t)= 3.6*4/(4+8) = 1.2A, t<0

Since the current through the inductor cannot change instantaneously, i(0)=i(0-)=1.2A

When t=0, the switch is open and the voltage source is disconnected. Now we have a circuit with 4 ohm in series with the 4H inductor and the 8 ohm resistor.

Req=4+8=12 ohms
T(tow)=L/R=4/12=1/2 seconds
io(t)=io(0)e^(-t/tow)
io(t)=1.2e^-3t

The solution manual shows that io(0)=1.4118 A. I am not sure how they obtained it. I will post the solution for reference as well. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

problem.jpg
20150322_210402.jpg
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first image shows a 4 Ω resistor in series with the 24 V supply, but the solution shows a 3 Ω resistor. This would make a difference...

Likes sugz
gneill said:
Your first image shows a 4 Ω resistor in series with the 24 V supply, but the solution shows a 3 Ω resistor. This would make a difference...
Wow, I am so sorry I missed that. Thanks a lot for pointing that out! Would all my steps be correct otherwise?

In addition, I have a question unrelated to this if I am allowed to ask this here. When a question states "initial charging current ic(0+)", what does this mean for an RL circuit? Is this when t=0 since this is the initial charging current? This is for a circuit where a switch closes, which provides a voltage source to a capacitor. Thanks again!

sugz said:
Wow, I am so sorry I missed that. Thanks a lot for pointing that out! Would all my steps be correct otherwise?

In addition, I have a question unrelated to this if I am allowed to ask this here. When a question states "initial charging current ic(0+)", what does this mean for an RL circuit? Is this when t=0 since this is the initial charging current? This is for a circuit where a switch closes, which provides a voltage source to a capacitor. Thanks again!
Yes, if you re-do the problem using 3Ω rather than 4Ω, with the same steps you used, you get 1.41176... A for i0 .

Likes sugz
sugz said:
In addition, I have a question unrelated to this if I am allowed to ask this here. When a question states "initial charging current ic(0+)", what does this mean for an RL circuit?
If there's a current on the diagram labelled ic then it's that current the instant after t=0 (presumably the instant after some switch change or other event that alters the circuit at time t=0). If the "c" in "ic" refers to a capacitor, well there's no capacitor in an RL circuit...
Is this when t=0 since this is the initial charging current? This is for a circuit where a switch closes, which provides a voltage source to a capacitor. Thanks again!
If you have an RC circuit then ic(0+) would refer to the initial current that the capacitor sees after the switching event.

Likes sugz
gneill said:
If there's a current on the diagram labelled ic then it's that current the instant after t=0 (presumably the instant after some switch change or other event that alters the circuit at time t=0). If the "c" in "ic" refers to a capacitor, well there's no capacitor in an RL circuit...

If you have an RC circuit then ic(0+) would refer to the initial current that the capacitor sees after the switching event.
Hello,
Sorry for the confusion. It is in fact an RC circuit. Thanks again for clarifying that! You are awesome!

Related to Finding the current Io for t>0 in a RL circuit

What is the formula for finding the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0?

The formula for finding the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0 is Io = (E/R) * (1 - e^(-Rt/L)), where E is the voltage source, R is the resistance, and L is the inductance of the circuit.

How does the resistance affect the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0?

The resistance (R) in a RL circuit affects the current (Io) by limiting the flow of electrons, resulting in a decrease in the current. This is because as the resistance increases, the voltage source (E) has less effect on the circuit, causing the current to decrease.

What is the significance of time (t) in the formula for finding the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0?

The time (t) in the formula for finding the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0 represents the amount of time that has passed since the circuit was closed. As time increases, the current will approach its maximum value (E/R) due to the inductor becoming fully energized.

Can the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0 ever exceed the maximum value (E/R)?

No, the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0 can never exceed the maximum value (E/R). This is because the inductor will eventually become fully energized, causing the voltage drop across the inductor to equal the voltage source (E), resulting in a maximum current of E/R.

How does the inductance (L) of the circuit affect the current (Io) in a RL circuit for t>0?

The inductance (L) of the circuit affects the current (Io) by determining the rate at which the current increases. A higher inductance will result in a slower increase in current, while a lower inductance will result in a faster increase in current. This is due to the inductor's ability to resist changes in current.