Finding the Determinant of a 4x4 Matrix with Variable Rows

In summary, the determinant of the matrix with rows v1, v2, 7v3+6v4, 6v3+8v4 is calculated using the linearity property of determinants, which states that the determinant of a matrix with a row that is the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of the determinants of matrices with the row replaced by each of the vectors. This is in contrast to the property that states adding a multiple of one row to another does not change the determinant, as demonstrated in the conversation between the student and their peer. Ultimately, the correct answer is found by using linearity to expand the original matrix into smaller matrices and then applying the properties of determinants to calculate the final
ahsanxr

Homework Statement

The 4x4 matrix with rows v1, v2, v3 and v4 has a determinant of -5. What is the determinant of the matrix with rows v1, v2, 7v3+6v4, 6v3+8v4?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing -5x7x8=-280 but its saying its wrong. I don't understand why. I'm using the properties of determinants of matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the linearity of determinants, right? What about the contribution from [v1, v2, 6v4, 6v3]?

Yes but the property I read was that if a multiple of a row is added to another row, then there is no change to the determinant.

ahsanxr said:
Yes but the property I read was that if a multiple of a row is added to another row, then there is no change to the determinant.

True. But you added a multiple of v4 to the third row. That didn't change the determinant, but it did change the third row. Now when you add a multiple of v3 to the fourth row, you can't claim that doesn't change it. Because the third row isn't v3 anymore! Use linearity directly.

v3 still remains v3 because it is not defined as the 3rd row of a matrix in general but instead is the specific 3rd row of the original matrix.

ahsanxr said:
v3 still remains v3 because it is not defined as the 3rd row of a matrix in general but instead is the specific 3rd row of the original matrix.

That's wrong. I'm not going to argue with you why. Use linearity. Stuff like det[v1,v2,a*v3+b*v4,v4]=det[v1,v2,a*v3,v4]+det[v1,v2,b*v4,v4], and you'll see why your answer is wrong. Apply it to det[v1,v2,a*v3+b*v4,c*v3+d*v4]. There are TWO nonvanishing determinants in the expansion.

I don't understand by what you mean by "linearity." I haven't heard of that term. I was taught the properties of determinants but that's it.

ahsanxr said:
I don't understand by what you mean by "linearity." I haven't heard of that term. I was taught the properties of determinants but that's it.

Huh. I would have listed linearity first in my list of determinant properties. It's what I tried to sketch in the last post. If a row of a matrix is given by the sum of two vectors A+B, then the resulting determinant is the sum of the determinant of the matrix with the row replaced by A and the determinant of the matrix with the row replaced by B.

Oh that was the name of a property. I didn't know that. I got the right answer now. Thanks for your help.

Related to Finding the Determinant of a 4x4 Matrix with Variable Rows

1. What is a matrix determinant?

A matrix determinant is a mathematical value that is calculated from a square matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and is used to determine whether the matrix is invertible or not.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated by following a specific formula depending on the size of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the formula is (a*d) - (b*c). For larger matrices, the process involves breaking down the matrix into smaller submatrices and applying the formula recursively until you reach a 2x2 matrix.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant plays a crucial role in linear algebra as it helps determine whether a matrix is invertible or not. It also provides information about the rank of the matrix, the solutions to linear equations, and the geometric transformation represented by the matrix.

4. Is the determinant of a matrix always unique?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix is always unique. This means that no matter how the elements of a matrix are arranged, the determinant will always have the same value. However, matrices with the same determinant can still have different properties and characteristics.

5. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant is determined by the arrangement of the elements in the matrix and does not affect its magnitude. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix has an odd number of negative eigenvalues.