Finding the Displacement of a Duck Undergoing Multiple Forces

• Thread starter pinky2468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the duck experiences a displacement of 15.8 degrees south of east when the forces acting on it are 0.10N and 0.20N, respectively.
pinky2468
Here is the question: A duck has a mass of 2.5kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.10N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.20N in a direction of 52degrees south of east. When the forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.11m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 3.0s while the forces are acting.
SO, I attemted to find the acceleration for the x and y and then use the tangent-1 to find the angle and the x=Vot + 1/2a(t)squared. Again not getting the answer in the back of the book 0.78m, 21degrees south of east
Obviously I am approaching this problem wrong?! Any advice??

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the x and y components of the acceleration. Then use kinematic formulas to find the x and y components of the displacement. That sounds like what you are saying you did. Show your work so we can check it out.

Rx=.20N(cos 52) + .10(cos 0)=.2231N Ry= .20(sin 52) + .10(sin 0)=.1576N

Ax=.2231N/2.5kg= .08924 Ay=.1576N/2.5kg= .0252

tan-1(.0252/.08924)=15.8degrees(wrong answer)

x=.11m/s(3.0s) + 1/2(.08924m/s^2)(3.0s)^2= wrong answer!

What step am I missing or am I completely off track?

You are not off track, you are just making mistakes.
pinky2468 said:
Rx=.20N(cos 52) + .10(cos 0)=.2231N Ry= .20(sin 52) + .10(sin 0)=.1576N
OK.

Ax=.2231N/2.5kg= .08924
OK.
Ay=.1576N/2.5kg= .0252
Not OK. Do over.

Pinky did you see that the initial velocity has only a non-zero component which is its horizontal?

I spoke too soon before. You are a bit off track. In addition to your mistake that I already pointed out:
pinky2468 said:
tan-1(.0252/.08924)=15.8degrees(wrong answer)
It looks like you are finding the angle of the force. But you should be finding the angle of the displacement, not the force.
x=.11m/s(3.0s) + 1/2(.08924m/s^2)(3.0s)^2= wrong answer!
That's just the x-component! Don't forget to find the y-component, and then the total displacement.

OK! I finally got it! Thanks!

FAQ: Finding the Displacement of a Duck Undergoing Multiple Forces

Question 1: What is another force problem?

Another force problem is a physics concept that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object in order to determine its motion or state of equilibrium. It is often encountered in mechanics and can be applied to a wide range of real-world scenarios.

Question 2: How do you approach solving a force problem?

The first step in solving a force problem is to identify all the forces acting on the object. This can be done by drawing a free-body diagram and labeling all the forces. Then, using Newton's laws of motion and any relevant equations, the forces can be analyzed to determine the object's motion or state of equilibrium.

Question 3: What are some common types of forces encountered in force problems?

Some common types of forces encountered in force problems include gravity, normal force, friction, tension, and applied force. Other forces such as air resistance, buoyancy, and magnetic forces may also be encountered depending on the specific scenario.

Question 4: How do you deal with multiple forces acting on an object?

When dealing with multiple forces, it is important to break them down into their components and analyze them separately. This can be done using trigonometric functions or vector operations. Once the individual forces are analyzed, they can be combined to determine the overall effect on the object.

Question 5: Can force problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, force problems can be applied to real-world situations such as calculating the force needed to lift an object, determining the acceleration of a car, or analyzing the forces acting on a bridge. Understanding force problems can also help in designing structures and machines that can withstand different forces.

Back