Finding the displacement of a non right triangle?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the displacement from Dallas to Chicago using a small map that shows the distance and direction between Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago. The conversation includes a request for help and a link to an explanation on how to solve this type of question. The solution involves considering each location as a vector and finding the angle of each vector with the x-axis.
Fasoolia

Homework Statement

A small map shows Atlanta to be 730 miles in a direction of 5 degrees north of east from Dallas. The same map shows that Chicago is 560 miles in a direction of 21 degrees west of north from Atlanta. Assume a flat Eath and use this information to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago

I would have used the trig functions but I don't have a clue since the triangle was not right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ps. We have not learned this yet in class but I want to get an upper hand

can anyone at least provide me with a link or explanation on how to do these type of questions?? I just want to know how so I can do it myself
Thank you in advance

Ah thanks a lot just what I need it, Really appreciate it

Bump...read the link but still didn't know how to solve it ... Help please

Consider each location as a vector.

What is the angle of each vector with the x-axis (the East-West line on a compass)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=29670&stc=1&d=1289075524.gif

Attachments

• vectors.gif
    vectors.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,588

Related to Finding the displacement of a non right triangle?

What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the shortest distance and direction between an initial and final position of an object or particle.

How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by finding the difference between the final and initial position of an object or particle. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem or by using vector addition.

What is a non-right triangle?

A non-right triangle is a triangle in which one of the angles is not 90 degrees. This type of triangle requires different methods for finding the displacement compared to a right triangle.

What are the challenges in finding the displacement of a non-right triangle?

The main challenge in finding the displacement of a non-right triangle is that the sides and angles are not directly related, making it difficult to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. Instead, other methods such as the law of cosines or vector addition must be used.

Why is finding the displacement of a non-right triangle important?

Knowing the displacement of a non-right triangle is important in many scientific and real-world applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. It allows us to accurately measure and predict the movement of objects or particles in any direction.