Finding the Distance Between 2 Lines and One Orthogonal Line

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the line L passing through and orthogonal to two given lines, L1 and L2, as well as the distance between L1 and L2. The suggested method involves finding a vector orthogonal to both lines and using the vector projection equation to find the distance. The solution also involves solving a system of equations using linear algebra.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Let L1 be the line (0,4,5) + (1,2,-1)t. Let L2 be the line (-10,9,17) + (-11,3,1)t.

Find the line L passing through and orthogonal to L1 and L2.

What is the distance between L1 and L2?

Homework Equations

Vector Projection Equation: V • W/|W|

The Attempt at a Solution

I think finding the equation is the more difficult part of the question, so I'll begin by finding the distance. First, I find a vector orthogonal to both lines by cross product. This vector is <5,10,25>, which I reduce to <1,2,5>.

Using the points given in the definitions of lines, I subtract to get another vector, <10,-5,22>.

By the equation for vector projections, <10,-5,22> • <1,2,5> = 110, which I divide by the magnitude of <1,2,5>. So, the distance equals 110/sqrt(30).

Now, I want the equation for this orthogonal line to be in the form (a,b,c) + <1,2,5>*s, where (a,b,c) is a point on the line. By multiplying out,

xs: a + s
ys: b +2s
zs: c + 5s

I suppose I want to solve for s in terms of t. I know

xt1: t
yt1: 4 + 2t
zt1: 5 - t

So,

t = a + s, then...

I think this whole system of equations will turn into a large mess. Is there a simpler way to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I thought of this was, you have a line L3 that intersects L1 and L2, and L3 has the direction vector of L1 x L2.

So there is a point P1 on L1 and a point P2 on L2 such that P2 - P1 = (L1 x L2)t. This is a 3-vector equation in 3 variables which should be easy to solve using linear algebra.

Learning things like this, I always like to find the shortest way of describing the structure of the problem.

I haven't taken any linear algebra classes, so I don't know the method that you're referring to. Could you please demonstrate?

FAQ: Finding the Distance Between 2 Lines and One Orthogonal Line

1. What is the formula for finding the distance between two lines?

The formula for finding the distance between two lines is the absolute value of the dot product of a vector perpendicular to both lines and a vector connecting a point on one line to a point on the other line, divided by the length of the perpendicular vector.

2. How do you know if a line is orthogonal to two other lines?

A line is orthogonal to two other lines if the dot product of the perpendicular vector and a vector on one of the lines is equal to zero.

3. Can the distance between two lines be negative?

No, the distance between two lines is always a positive value.

4. What is the significance of finding the distance between two lines?

Finding the distance between two lines is important in geometry and physics, as it allows us to understand the relationship between different lines and planes in a given space.

5. Is there a simpler way to find the distance between two lines?

There are other methods for finding the distance between two lines, such as using the Pythagorean theorem or calculating the shortest distance between a point on one line and a point on the other line. However, the formula involving the dot product of two vectors is the most efficient and accurate method.