Finding the distance between two parametric lines

In summary, the equation of the line in 3D through point a=(1,2,4) parallel to line r=(1,-5,0)+λ(1,2,2) is c=(1,2,4)+μ(1,2,2). To find the distance between these lines, it is necessary to find the length of the perpendicular segment connecting them, which can be done by taking the cross product of the two vectors. When solving these types of problems, it is helpful to visualize the situation and make a figure to better understand the geometry involved.
mnmakrets
1. Write down the equation for the line in 3D through the point a=(1,2,4), parallel to the line r=(1,-5,0)+λ(1,2,2). Then, find the distance between these lines.

2. 3. Lets say, b= (1,2,2). b is parallel to given line, so it must also be parallel to the new line.
My guess is that the equation of the new line is then;
c=(1,2,4)+λ(1,2,2).

I don't know how to approach the rest of the problem, this is a new topic for me, however this is revision for many students in my class so my teacher did not explain this thoroughly, i would greatly appreciate any hints for this problem, and/or any useful webpages that would help me here. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you mean Euclidean distance, the minimum distance between 2 parallel lines is the length of a perpendicular segment connecting them.
The cross product of 2 vectors will be perpendicular to them both.

mnmakrets said:
1. Write down the equation for the line in 3D through the point a=(1,2,4), parallel to the line r=(1,-5,0)+λ(1,2,2). Then, find the distance between these lines.

2. 3. Lets say, b= (1,2,2). b is parallel to given line, so it must also be parallel to the new line.
My guess is that the equation of the new line is then;
c=(1,2,4)+λ(1,2,2).

It is correct so far, but use some other letter inside of lambda in the equation of the new line.
When trying to solve such problems, it is very useful to make a figure. See the one attached.
You need a line which intersects both parallel lines and perpendicular to them.
The lines have common normal planes. Their points of intersection with such a plane are D distance apart, and D is the distance between the lines.

ehild
distpar.JPG

Related to Finding the distance between two parametric lines

What is the definition of parametric lines?

Parametric lines are lines represented by a set of equations, where the coordinates of any point on the line can be expressed in terms of one or more parameters.

How do you find the distance between two parametric lines?

To find the distance between two parametric lines, you can use the distance formula, which involves finding the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines.

What information is needed to find the distance between two parametric lines?

To find the distance between two parametric lines, you will need the equations of the two lines, as well as the values of the parameters for both lines.

Can you find the distance between two parametric lines if they are not parallel?

Yes, you can find the distance between two parametric lines even if they are not parallel. The distance formula can be used for any two lines in space.

Are there any special cases when finding the distance between two parametric lines?

One special case is when the two lines are parallel. In this case, the distance between them will be equal to the distance between any two corresponding points on the two lines. Another special case is when the two lines are coincident, in which case the distance between them will be 0.