Finding the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix

In summary: Another way to see this is to use the pattern (a + b)(a - b) = a2 - b2. In this case, a is 7 - λ and b is 5. So (7 - λ + 5)(7 - λ - 5) = (12 - λ)(2 - λ) = 12λ - λ2 - 24 + 5λ = -λ2 + 17λ - 24.This is exactly what AlephZero showed you.
uzman1243

Homework Statement

A =
7 -5 0
-5 7 0
0 0 -6

Can you please show your method aswell. Every time I try I get the wrong answer.

FYI Eigen values are 12.2,-6

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I got:
det =
7-λ -5 0
-5 7-λ 0
0 0 -6-λ

Im unsure what to do next. I tried doing this
(7-λ) [(7-λ)*(-6-λ)] - (-5)(-5(-6-λ)) + 0 = 0
but when I expand and get a cubic equation and solve it, i don't get the right answer which is 12,2,-6

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your cubic equation in λ after you have done the algebra and collected all the terms. You may have made a mistake in your calculations.

SteamKing said:
Show us your cubic equation in λ after you have done the algebra and collected all the terms. You may have made a mistake in your calculations.

continuing from (7-λ) [(7-λ)*(-6-λ)] - (-5)(-5(-6-λ)) + 0 = 0

(7-λ) [(7-λ)*(-6-λ)] + 5 (30+5λ) = 0
(7-λ) [(7-λ)*(-6-λ)] +150 + 25λ = 0
(7-λ) [-42-λ+λ^2] + 150 + 25λ = 0

294 - 7λ + 7λ^2 + 42λ + λ^2 - λ^3 + 150 +25λ = 0

444 + 60λ +8λ^2 - λ^3 = 0

So i checked that with the calculator and the answer is completely off.
Also in my first semester exam we aren't allowed to use the calc. so i need to find another way to solve the cubic equation OR instead do some sort of manipulation of the initial det matrix and get the answer from there.

Any ideas?
and thank you

uzman1243 said:

Also in my first semester exam we aren't allowed to use the calc. so i need to find another way to solve the cubic equation OR instead do some sort of manipulation of the initial det matrix and get the answer from there.

Any ideas?
and thank you

Looks to me like you should have:

-144 + 60λ +8λ^2 - λ^3 = 0

uzman1243 said:

Any ideas?
and thank you

Check your cubic polynomial again. You have an arithmetic error in calculating the constant term.

Here's a tip: when you have something like (7-λ)(7-λ)(-6-λ), evaluate the two identical terms first (7-λ)(7-λ) = 49 - 14λ + λ[itex]^{2}[/itex], since you should be able to write the square of a monomial by doing a mental calculation.

Alternately, when you want to calculate the determinant of a matrix with several zeroes in a single row or column, like the matrix in this problem, using minors might save you considerable calculation.

In any event, when you obtain the proper cubic characteristic equation, you can use several different methods to find the solutions: you can guess a solution, you can use the rational root theorem, or you can plot the equation.

uzman1243 said:

The factor (-6-λ) is in both terms. So you can simplify this to
[ (7-λ)(7-λ) - (-5)(-5) ] (-6-λ) = 0
and save a lot of work.

And (7-λ)(7-λ) - (-5)(-5) is of the form ##a^2 - b^2##, so you should be able to factorize it without multiplying everything out.

The Electrician said:
Looks to me like you should have:

-144 + 60λ +8λ^2 - λ^3 = 0

Oh yeah. But sill I used the values you got and I checked with an online cubic calculator, and this is what I got

attachment.php?attachmentid=68174&stc=1&d=1396247658.png

The answer is quite close. x1 should be 12 and x2 should be -6.

can you explain why this is so??

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 544
AlephZero said:
The factor (-6-λ) is in both terms. So you can simplify this to
[ (7-λ)(7-λ) - (-5)(-5) ] (-6-λ) = 0
and save a lot of work.

And (7-λ)(7-λ) - (-5)(-5) is of the form ##a^2 - b^2##, so you should be able to factorize it without multiplying everything out.

That is awesome. But i don't get how you were able to factorize it WITHOUT multiplying it out?

AlephZero said:

uzman1243 said:
That is awesome. But i don't get how you were able to factorize it WITHOUT multiplying it out?
AlephZero explained where the factorization comes from. If a = 7 - λ and b = -5, then (7-λ)(7-λ) - (-5)(-5) = a2 - b2, so you can factor it as (a - b)(a + b) or as (7 - λ - (-5))(7 - λ + (-5)).

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix

1. What is the purpose of finding the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix?

The eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix provide important information about the matrix, such as its determinants and solutions to systems of linear equations. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of linear transformations and diagonalizing matrices.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI)=0, where A is the given matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This equation can be solved using various methods, such as determinants or Gaussian elimination.

3. Can a 3x3 matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This is because the solutions to the characteristic equation can be complex numbers. However, for a real-valued matrix, the complex eigenvalues will always come in conjugate pairs.

4. What is the significance of the algebraic and geometric multiplicity of eigenvalues?

The algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue is its multiplicity as a root of the characteristic equation, while the geometric multiplicity is the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with that eigenvalue. The relationship between these two values can provide insights into the behavior of the matrix and its transformations.

5. Can a 3x3 matrix have repeated eigenvalues?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have repeated eigenvalues. This means that the characteristic equation has a repeated root, which can happen when the matrix has repeated eigenvalues or when the eigenvalues are complex conjugates. In this case, the eigenspace associated with the repeated eigenvalue will have a dimension greater than 1.