Finding the eigenvectors in triangular matrices

From this point on, I'm going to direct any homework-like posts in the technical section to this thread. If you want to change the wording or anything, let me know.
eherrtelle59
I thought I would ask this in the homework section.

Homework Statement

I should be able to write down the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of diagonal and triangular matrices on sight.

M = \begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 \\[0.3em]
0 & x \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}

vs.

M = \begin{bmatrix}
-1 & -1 \\[0.3em]
0 & x-(1/4) \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, I can see in the diagonal matrix that eigenvalues are λ_1 =1 and λ_2 =x
Therefore, the eigenvectors are e_1= (1 0) and e_2 =(0 1)

Now for the triangular matrix: by sight, I can see λ_1 =-1 and e_1 = (1 0 )

What I cannot do is figure out (by looking at the matrix) that if λ_2=x-(1/4) then e_2 = (-1 x+(3/4) ) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi eherrtelle59! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
eherrtelle59 said:
What I cannot do is figure out (by looking at the matrix) that if λ2=x-(1/4) then e2 = (-1 x+(3/4) )

-1*-1 + -1*(x+3/4) = (x - 1/4)*-1

0*-1 + (x-1/4)*(x+3/4) = (x - 1/4)*(x+3/4)

eherrtelle59 said:
I thought I would ask this in the homework section.
This looks very similar to a thread you started in one of the math technical sections (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=602860). It's slightly different, so I'm just going to advise you that homework and homework-like questions belong here, not in the math technical section.

FAQ: Finding the eigenvectors in triangular matrices

1. What are eigenvectors in triangular matrices?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that do not change direction when a matrix is multiplied by them. In triangular matrices, eigenvectors are the vectors that are found along the main diagonal of the matrix.

2. How do you find eigenvectors in triangular matrices?

To find eigenvectors in triangular matrices, you can use the formula (A-λI)v=0, where A is the triangular matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and v is the eigenvector. You can then solve for v using any method, such as substitution or elimination.

3. Why are eigenvectors important in triangular matrices?

Eigenvectors are important in triangular matrices because they help us understand the behavior of the matrix when it is multiplied by other vectors. They also have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can a triangular matrix have more than one eigenvector?

Yes, a triangular matrix can have multiple eigenvectors. In fact, the number of distinct eigenvectors in a triangular matrix is equal to the number of distinct eigenvalues.

5. Are eigenvectors always real numbers in triangular matrices?

No, eigenvectors in triangular matrices can also be complex numbers. This is because the eigenvalues of triangular matrices can be complex, and the eigenvectors are dependent on the eigenvalues.