Finding the electric flux through a sphere

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric flux into and out of a sphere of radius R placed in a uniform electric field of E=233 N/C i. Using Gauss's Law, the electric flux can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area of the sphere, which is 4pi*R^2. The x-component of the surface area will be used, as the electric field only has an i-component. Through visualization, it can be understood that the total flux through the hemisphere will be zero, but not through the entire sphere.
Timebomb3750

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R is placed in a uniform electric field of E=233 N/C i. Find the electric flux into and out of the sphere.

Homework Equations

I understand that Gauss's Law is shown as...
∫E dot dA = Q/epsilon not

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since we're dealing with a sphere with E being constant, I figured you could pull the E out of the integral and be left with E∫dA where dA is =4pi*r^2. So you'd be left with E(4pi*R). But this doesn't look right to me. Keep in mind, there is no charge in or out of the sphere. And the field lines are perfectly horizontal through the sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Timebomb3750 said:
Well, since we're dealing with a sphere with E being constant, I figured you could pull the E out of the integral and be left with E∫dA where dA is =4pi*r^2. So you'd be left with E(4pi*R).
You forgot about the dot product. You need the component of surface area in the direction of the field. (Or vice versa.)

I'm confused about what you're asking for. Are you saying there should be a dot somewhere in my flux=E(4pi*R) equation. I understand what the dot product is (I use it a lot in my Calc 3 class) I'm confused as to what you mean by "the component of the surface area". I understand that the field lines only have an x-component or i, so they're horizontal through the sphere.

What do you think E*dA means? What's the significance of the dot product?

(You were treating E*dA as if it were the same as EdA.)

Doc Al said:
What do you think E*dA means? What's the significance of the dot product?

(You were treating E*dA as if it were the same as EdA.)

Oops. I see. So, I should be left with E*(4piR) R=radius. But what I'm now stumped on is the component of the surface area. As I said before. I understand the E has an i-component. But how do I find the components of the surface area?

Well, you can do it the hard way. (By setting up the integral.) Or you can think about it a bit and maybe it'll dawn on you. Imagine a hemisphere with its axis along the x-axis. What will be the x-component of its surface area?

This might be an even better way to visualize it. What flux of E field will be intercepted by the sphere? (Who cares about the shape of the surface?)

Wouldn't the total flux through the hemisphere be zero? Thus, meaning the flux through a sphere would be zero as well? I'm talking about total flux meaning the sum of the positive and negative flux.

Timebomb3750 said:
Wouldn't the total flux through the hemisphere be zero? Thus, meaning the flux through a sphere would be zero as well? I'm talking about total flux meaning the sum of the positive and negative flux.
The total flux through the sphere will be zero*. (Since whatever goes into it must go out of it.) But not through the hemisphere.

*That should be clear from Gauss's law.

FAQ: Finding the electric flux through a sphere

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a certain area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

What is a sphere?

A sphere is a three-dimensional shape that is completely round and has a constant radius. It is often represented by the equation x² + y² + z² = r², where r is the radius of the sphere.

How do you calculate the electric flux through a sphere?

The electric flux through a sphere can be calculated using the formula Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the surface area of the sphere, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the surface of the sphere.

What factors affect the electric flux through a sphere?

The electric flux through a sphere is affected by the strength of the electric field, the surface area of the sphere, and the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the surface of the sphere.

Why is finding the electric flux through a sphere important?

Finding the electric flux through a sphere is important because it allows us to understand the amount of electric field passing through a certain area. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of electric fields and in solving problems related to electric charges and currents.

Back