Finding the entropy from the heat capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the canonical ensemble to determine the heat capacity and entropy of a system. It is mentioned that the entropy can be found using a trick if the heat capacity is known, but this may not always work for ideal gases or real substances with phase changes. The reasoning behind this approach is also questioned.
Coffee_
Let's say that we have some canonical ensemble where I know that the heat capacity is given by

##C_{V}=\alpha(N,V) T^{n}##

Since ##C_{V}=T\frac{\partial S(T,V)}{\partial T}## I know that

##S(V,T)=\frac{1}{n} \alpha(N,V) T^{n} + f(N,V) ##

Where the function ##f(N,V)## has to do with the fact that I'm only taking the derivative wrt. to T and can lose such additional terms in general.

I also know that ##S(V,0)=0## which means that ##f(N,V,)=0## which means I can always use this trick to find the entropy if the heat capacity is known. Obviously if ##C_{V}## is an uglier function of T we'd have to integrate and so on.

##QUESTION##: When is it okay to do such a reasoning and when isn't it?

Science news on Phys.org
For an ideal gas, assuming CV is constant, ##S = N(C_vln(T) + R ln(V)+C)##. So this doesn't even work for an ideal gas. For real substances, there are phase changes that occur prior to getting to absolute zero that need to be included also.

Related to Finding the entropy from the heat capacity

1. What is entropy and how is it related to heat capacity?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work. Heat capacity, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. The two are related through the equation: ΔS = ΔQ/T, where ΔS represents the change in entropy, ΔQ represents the change in heat, and T represents the temperature.

2. Why is it important to calculate the entropy from heat capacity?

Calculating the entropy from heat capacity allows us to better understand the thermodynamic properties of a substance. It can also provide valuable information about the behavior and stability of a system. Additionally, the calculation of entropy from heat capacity is essential in the study of phase transitions and chemical reactions.

3. How is the entropy of a substance affected by changes in temperature?

The entropy of a substance typically increases as the temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules in the substance have more energy and are more likely to be in a state of disorder. However, this relationship is not always linear and can depend on the specific properties of the substance.

4. Can the entropy of a substance be negative?

Yes, the entropy of a substance can be negative. This is often observed in processes where the system becomes more ordered, such as freezing or condensation. In these cases, the decrease in randomness results in a decrease in entropy. However, the overall change in entropy for a system will always be positive, as the universe tends towards a state of maximum entropy.

5. How can I experimentally determine the entropy from heat capacity?

The entropy can be experimentally determined by measuring the heat capacity at different temperatures and then using the equation ΔS = ΔQ/T. This can be done through various techniques such as calorimetry or differential scanning calorimetry. Alternatively, the entropy can also be calculated from thermodynamic data such as enthalpy and temperature using the equation ΔS = ΔH/T.